Friday, January 10, 2014

Jan 10- The Fishing on Foot Tour

What a beautiful day. This morning the Top Water Boat was begging to go swimming. It was a tough decision. I'm pretty sure I could've caught some Black Drum at the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty. Or I could've gone out to the ARs. Plenty of action is not only possible, but probable. Black Sea Bass, Dog Sharks, and more. But, in the end, I decided to save my hard earned money and let the Boat sit where she was.... Instead I went on a truck ride and fished several different spots that have all produced fair to great fishing at different times in the past. Driving on Hwy 70 east of Beaufort you will encounter lots of Bridges and plenty of water. Some are productive, some are not. Remember, though that as I encountered poor fishing after poor fishing.... Remember that it is mid-January and we have had some brutally cold weather and the fishing is now absolutely in the "dead of winter" pattern.... So, today I fished Ward's Creek, Oyster Creek, and Smyrna Creek. I also fished Radio Island. I cast Gulps and Grubs on lead heads. I caught nothing and I had no bites. I can also say this, as compared to last week, the water is much, much colder. The sensation of the cold water collapsing my waders tightly against my legs made it plainly obvious that the water has cooled off greatly since the last time I entered the water down here.. The water at Cape Hatteras is very obviously much warmer.... Anyway, I made a 100 casts today and it felt good just to try..... However, the catch was non-existent.  Total Catch for the Day: Nothing

6 comments:

Mike said...

I caught as many fish as you yesterday? Sweet,

Anonymous said...

In due time partner we are gonna wack them, Shad will be here in bout 5 weeks!

Capt. Marty said...

It pains me to say that I bought a freaking killer little River Boat this past summer specifically for Shad Season and it is NOT going to be ready. Sadly, I need a new outboard and a trailer rebuild. My money is funny and that's no laughing matter. Dammit

Jordan said...

What kind of rig did you pick up Captain?

Capt. Marty said...

I bought a 1991Sea Squirt Center Console. Sounds cheap, but it actually really nice, well built Flats Boat. I got a great deal and it was supposedly ready to go but the motor and trailer have been failures.... I need a 50-100 HP Outboard motor and the trailer needs work as well.... Unfortunately, it ain't such a great deal anymore!!!! Anyway, I bought it for Spring River Action and it ain't going to make it this Spring. Sucks.....

Micheal Alexander said...

Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Half Sided Fish Mounts