Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Top Water Charters Miracles WAHOO and LEMONFISH

Last night I was playing with this Blog's Layout. Basically changing things around on the right margin. Re-arranging descriptions of "up coming fishing" and adding pictures of different things. I hope my readers pay attention to those things in addition to reading the Fishing Reports. There is a lot of good information and great pictures over there....

I found a picture on my computer that reminded me of a great day and I wanted to incorporate it into my Blog. Now a day later, I think I'll expand on it and make it one of my "winter time" essays.... As y'all can tell by now, they take two forms.... Negative Rants or Positive Reviews, Stats, or just Feel Good Stories. This is definitely a "Feel Good".

So thinking about Top Water Miracles. I mean T-Total Miracles. Unbelievable "No Way Possible" Fishing Stories... Not just freaks like the 50 lb Yellowfin Tuna I caught casting a stingsilver on light spinning tackle to schools of Albacore a mile off the Beach or the 66 lb Amberjack that ate the Spanish Mackerel that I was reeling in and somehow got hooked by the size 00 Clarkspoon that had hooked the Mackerel while trolling in Beaufort Inlet or the 30 lb King Mackerel that I caught on a bare chartreuse Sea Witch that I was pulling 30 kts... Those are TRUE STORIES, but not enough to qualify as a Top Water Miracle. There has been two of them! Here is their stories:

On Sept 3, 2005 Put Putnam paid for a half day inshore fishing trip so he could spend some time with his son Charles. Charles, who was a Lieutenant in the US Army Special Forces, and was getting ready to deploy to Sierra Leone to train their military to fight a "Diamond War" against a group of Insurgents... Very Interesting... Anyway, I asked Charles the night before we fished what he would like to target and I would try to accommodate his wishes. Charles explained that he'd fished all over the World and one of the fish that had eluded him and he would most like to catch was a........ Wahoo! Oh damn, I explained to him that on a half day, inshore, a Wahoo was about as unlikely as anything he could've named... Too bad. Damn, I thought, "No way I satisfy this guy".... Anyway, I figured live bait for King Mackerel would be the most action I could supply these guys.... So, 4 hours into the trip, it was Hot as Hell and Fishing was SLOW... (Surely you guys know where this is headed!) With a perfect level of IMPOSSIBLE and as DRAMATIC as I can make this..... We were down to our LAST live Menhaden. I fished it right in the wheel wash... Right over the Hutton wreck, we all had our backs turned and missed seeing a pretty violent strike on the live bait. Much different than our previous bites. I think we had caught a couple of Spanish Mackerel and a Houndfish.... Anyway, this fish ran hard, steady, and deep. An hour later and we were still fighting..... A big Shark? It sure seemed slow and lethargic! Finally Charles tipped the big fish up. There comes a time in every fight with a big fish when he loses his balance. This is the angler's chance to gain line! Charles kept him coming, up from 70 feet. Finally we saw color. We all peered over the side into the clear blue water. "What is it Charles asked"...... "I'll be damned" I said Astonished. "Its a Big Ass Wahoo dude"   A few minutes later Charles had his dream fish. A 68 lb Wahoo.... On a half day trip. On the Last Bait in the baitwell.... UNBELIEVABLE. Mission Accomplished. A Top Water Miracle

On May 19, 2011 I had Jim and Phil Leisey aboard for a half day of Cobia Fishing. Jim is my favorite customer and we have had many great days through the years. A big Cobia had eluded us though in a few attempts. Fishing was looking good when we set this day up a week earlier. May 10-12 had seen great Cobia fishing in our area. Then it had fell apart. Fishing was slow and I was in a "slump". On the big day, conditions were great for sight casting. As we ran east, I quickly spotted a little Cobia. Phil couldn't see him so I cast a swimbait and quickly hooked up. I passed the rod down and Phil released a 32" Cobia. The skunk was kicked off quickly and this day was looking good.... Then we hit a "DEAD SPOT" and we rode for 3 hours and saw NOTHING. Oh Lord, another failure..... Grasping for straws and giving up on Cobia Fishing, I asked Jim that since our day was winding down would he like to cast some top water plugs to some 10-14 lb Bluefish? Jim reluctantly agreed and we hung our heads and headed inside the Bight at Cape Lookout...... To add salt to our wounds.... I freaking T-Boned a 50+ pound Cobia on the way to the Bluefish spot. SHIT! I screamed. "Just forget it Marty, it aint our day" Jim replied. Then, to make matters worse the damn Bluefish numbers were pitiful..... Jim and Phil each released one. Our BAD LUCK was really a gigantic stroke of Good Luck we just didn't know it.... With our time up, the Leisey boys needed to hit the road to Raleigh... I said look, let's anchor up and give it 30 minutes on the bottom. What the heck, we know 1 Cobia was back here because I ran over it. Jim and Phil reluctantly agreed... So I dropped anchor and baited up with "yesterday's bait"... Not perfect, but I felt really bad. I wanted to please and impress these guys bad! Twenty minutes later Jim and I were jumping for joy as Phil was locked up in a battle with a Cobia! A few minutes later Phil decked a stud 61 lb Cobia. After much rejoicing, I started to pack up... And Jim said, "Hey look we are already late. If you don't mind, I'd like to give it 10 more minutes...... because Phil got his 60 pounder, I'd like to get my 80 pounder"......  I chuckled to myself and thought "okay Jim-Bob, whatever you say!" (once again my readers know exactly where this is headed) Anyway, a couple minutes later we got a bite. Jim set the hook and the fish moved off slowly. A long steady run. Then the fish stopped and Jim started to make headway..... As it got closer, the line began to rise and the fish veered off to the left. Slowly he kept rising and finally we saw him. A Lemonfish. A huge, light colored Cobia. Light brown, a subtle yellow glow to him. A Calico. Long and Lean. Then the game changed. The Cobia turned and smoked it, headed to the west and he was not stopping. I had to drop anchor and the chase was on. 45 minutes later, we were just off the crashing surf. Turning circles in 5-10 feet of water in the late afternoon sun. I finally, finally sank the gaff... Phil ran around and sank the second gaff. Together, we dropped him on deck. I took off from the breakers and ran back to the anchor. Here we finally looked at our prize. Freaking huge. I would be damned if Jim didn't catch is 80 pound Cobia. UNBELIEVABLE. Mission Accomplished. A Top Water Miracle




5 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

Jim's Cobia was what they call a rare "Calico" Cobia..... Light colored.... Back in the old days on the Gulf Coast, Texas especially this color phase was more prominent, Cobia were actually called Lemonfish.... The Oregon Inlet boys call them Calicos

Anonymous said...

Two great reads.....thank you.

Anonymous said...

Damn after reading that I can't wait to go fishing. I can't wait until Spring.

Capt. Marty said...

Im with you on that. Sometimes I feel my enthusiasm slipping and I wonder why the hell I spent so much of my life (every free day and every free dollar) Fishing! Every vacation was a "fishing vacation"....I wonder was it worth it?

Right now I am stoked. Ready for Shad. Ready for Bonito. Ready for Cobia.

I can't wait

Anonymous said...

I am currently replacing springs on the grass hopper to take you fishing pal. WE are gonna catch 100 a day in march.

BRING. IT. ON.

Then with me on the deck and you in the Tower, between our GOOD luck your cobia clients will be very pleased.