Monday, January 13, 2014

My Career Best Cobia Comes Home



I just received my mounted 94 lb Cobia from Capt Chris Kimrey of Mountmaker Charters and Custom Saltwater Taxidermy. Chris works fiberglass and paint like the Johann Sebastion Bach works sheet music. He reads happy Fishermen's minds like Peyton Manning reads Cover Two at the Line of Scrimage. He folds in colors like Emeril Lagasse mixes in spice. He creates life out of a dead plug of fiberglass like....... Okay enough. Chris is an artist, saltwater fish is his thing, and taxidermy is his genre. I highly recommend anyone considering getting a fish mounted to contact him. www.customsaltwatertaxidermy.com

Back to my Cobia. It's been a few years. This fish came during a 17 Cobia day. It swam up as my 2 anglers were both fighting fish. I told them that "this was a big one" but neither was interested. So, from my perch high above in the Tower, I grabbed a Penn 550SS on an Ugly Stick Rod rated 12-14, I believe it was spooled with new 12# mono, and cast my bucktail. The big fish ate it immediately. So then I patiently waited for Josh and Jeremy to each land their 30-35 lb Cobias. Thankfully my big Cobia wasn't much interested in running. He sorta circled slowly in 6-10 feet of water and never pressured me to chase him. Eventually the boys gaffed the other fish and I got serious with mine.  Still in the Tower, I quickly maneuvered very close to my Cobia. Feeling a real threat for the first time, my Cobia surged offshore into a vast area of deeper, gin clear water. Here is where we spent the next hour. Pretty much straight up and down over my Cobia in 12-14 feet of water. My light rod simply wouldn't lift him. Persistence, in the end, finally wore him out and as I got him very close to gaffing range Josh expressed some fear and apprehension in the Gaffing Department. As a matter of fact, he said, he'd only gaffed one fish in his entire life and that was Jeremy's Cobia an hour ago. I assured him to just do his best. Gaff him in the shoulder and snug him up beside the boat. I told Jeremy to quickly move in behind Josh and sink the second gaff in the thickest part of the Cobia. The moment of truth came and the boys performed perfectly. I remember being astonished at the size of my Cobia as they wrestled it over the gunnel. It landed with a thud and laid beside Josh's first fish of the day, a 72 lb Cobia that had been chewed up and spit out by a Giant Shark. My Cobia dwarfed the one Josh caught. I was hoping for a magical 100 pounder but we kept fishing. Probably wouldn't have made it anyway, but it wasn't weighed until the following morning when it pulled the needle down to 94 lbs. So far that's my best Cobia and the Top Water Charters Record. Top Five are 1. Capt Marty's 94 lb Cobia, 2. Marcus R Rouse's 92 lb Cobia, 3. Connie Culverwell's 84 lb Cobia, 4. Capt Marty's 83 lb Cobia, and 5. Jim Leisey's 81 lb Cobia.... Let's hope those records fall this year lets hope one of y'all call Chris up to mount a Giant Cobia caught on the Top Water Boat!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beauitful mount.....and cool story.

Anonymous said...

I am due for one.....

Capt. Marty said...

If you love fishing, there is nothing like catching a Real Trophy Fish. It is a high and it lasts a long time. I can remember several of my signature catches..... The summer of 1988. A 66 lb Amberjack on a #00 clarkspoon in June and a 50 lb Yellowfin Tuna on a stingsilver changed the entire course of my life... Took a "lost" college drifter and turned me into a Fisherman for Life.

Later, as a "Fisherman", I remember catching my 83 lb Wahoo while fishing by myself out of a fleet of Carteret County's very best King Mackerel Fishermen. I stayed high off that fish for weeks! Indescribable. Cobia is one of those fish that are "very important". Around Beaufort Inlet there is a group of guys that fish hard and very competitively. Catching a trophy Cobia is a huge ego trip and an incredible high. Back in 2002, there wasn't alot of Cobias caught around Carteret County. I can remember catching a 83 lb Cobia that year. Man I was strutting like a Bantam Rooster. My feet weren't touching the ground! I was crack pipe high for weeks!

I hope I feel that high this year! A 60 lb King, a 100 lb Cobia, a 10 lb Speckled Trout..... Those are some of my Dream Fish! As a Fishing Guide, I hope I can lead some of you guys to "Fish of a Lifetime" too.... Mostly I can't wait to get out there and try. Get some salt on my glasses and blood on my shoes! Lets do it guys! Get HIGH ON FISHING!

Call Chris Kimrey and get some Mounts ordered!!!!

Capt. Marty said...

Okay, "crack pipe high"???

That's going to far. I don't know that much about that ignorant behavior but I shouldn't have polluted a Fishing Comment with that kind of negativity.... Sorry guys....

Is that better, Honey Bun?

Anonymous said...

Much!!!

Micheal Alexander said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.  Saltwater Fish Mounts