Monday, January 27, 2014

Jan 27- FINALLY FISHING





Hey, it ain't what we hope for. It ain't what we used to expect. Times have changed. It's not 2004 and Mr Bluefin Tuna or Mr Striped Bass ain't walking through my door! Yes, I could've should've rolled the dice and went looking for Speckled Trout or Red Drum but I didn't..... The weather has been brutally cold and even though today was warm and sunny, my SALT WATER CONFIDENCE is not really high this winter.... Things are different at Hatteras. Warm Water. Red Drum in the Surf. But here, in Carteret County waters, it has been a Stink-Fest.... So today, I grabbed 2 of Lil Sid's night crawlers and went 5,000 yards to the Northeast...... Emma and I. And it was a pleasure. I did not figure I'd get a Grand Slam but after catching a real nice Pumpkinseed, I was one Bass away from a Beaufort Slam. I shortened my leader and fishing closer to the Bank. that didn't work. I probed the deepest part of the Mung Hole. Deep Dropping! Nothing..... I couldn't find a Largemouth Bass. I found a hungry and agressive population of Bluegill. One unfortunate Bluegill became Emma's lunch. Other than that, they all got released. After 30 minutes of action I had a revelation. In this Mung Hole, stunting is not present. I honestly believe that it is possible to catch a pan full of hand-sized Bluegills. Make a great fish fry. I never thought I'd see a keeper stringer of Bluegills come from a Beaufort Pond. Fortunately for the fish and unfortunately for me, I never liked fried Bream.... So, who the Hell cares.... Well, next week I'm gonna ask my Daddy if he wants a mess of Bream. If he says "yes", watch out..... Anyway, fun on a winter day. Total Catch for the Day: 24 Bluegill and 1 Pumpkinseed 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The colors are incredible. Do those fish think its Spring?

John said...

Things are different at Hatteras....
John Phanchalad CEO JP Digital Tech have a very good track record in digital media marketing. To know more about Mr

Phanchalad and latest updates on business promotion you can contact John Phanchalad http://johnphanchalad.com/about