Saturday, March 15, 2014

Amazing Tidbits of Monkfish Knowledge

As I process and devour the Monkfish I will offer up little tidbits of info..... Starting with (1) Top Picture: One of 2 Roe that was in this female Monkfish. Incredible, I have never seen anything like this. This single Egg Veil was over 7 feet long. There was another identical Roe on the other side. Absolutely Crazy!

Yesterday I was at The Hatterasman, a very popular local landmark that turns out World Class Bacon Cheeseurgers and lots of other great food.... Anyway, the owner/cook/manager Frank overheard me tell someone that I had caught a Monkfish last week. Frank said that if I ever caught another one, to bring it in and he'd cook it up for me! I said sure man, but it took me 12 years to get my first one but I'll be sure to remember your offer.... As fate would have it, 4 hours later I had another Monkfish.... So, I literally just dropped off a bag of Monkfish meat and I'm set to pick up a platter of fried Monkfish bites, Hatterasman Style, at 2 pm!

So I picked up my fish.... Frank hooked me up with 2 boxes stuffed with Monkfish bites. One cajun fried and one regular. He also made me a Monkfish Sandwich. How is it, you wonder? It is absolutely incredible. The Sandwich was The Best Fish Sandwich I've ever had. Period. And, hell, all it was was a bun and a 4" thick chunk of hot fish. I dapped it with cocktail sauce. The fish is luxurious. Best taste bumped up by the best texture. Not sure what else to say. The Hatterasman cooked it up way better that I cooked the other one. That's to be expected. They cook. I fish. Also, I got enough "bites" to feed 5 or 6 of the Ferry Jokers... Yep, the very ones that would've "poured Coffee on it" ha ha ha. or "throw a rock at it, man"..... Picture Beavis and Butthead in Ferry Unis...... Finally, the best part: Frank at The Hatterasman charged me........

$0.00
    
Incredible. He kept enough fish for him and his Dad. Damn that's awesome. If you guys pass through Hatteras Village, stop by and see Frank. Monkfish Sandwich if they got it... If not, Bacon Cheeseburger.

The bottom picture is the jawbones of my Monkfish. The jaw itself was very complex. Hard to describe and I was in a hurry. Hopefully I will catch another one and really be able to examine this bad boy..... Also, the teeth are amazing.... You would have to see this to believe it, but lots of individual teeth have INDIVIDUAL CAMOUFLAGE. Its amazing. Many of those long "dagger" teeth were sheathed in a paper thin mottled brown wisp of skin!

No comments: