Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Next Week's Open Dates and Bullet Mackerel



BULLET MACKERELS are here again........

When I get home next time all this wind and cold will be a distant memory! I am OPEN and AVAILABLE for Charter on:

April 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

It appears I know where some Red Drum and Bluefish are holed up.... I'd expect that on a pretty day I could find some decent Black Sea Bass and possibly even a nice Flounder in 60+ feet of water...  Inside, it's about time for the Puffers, Sea Mullet, and Gray Trout to show up. And......

I'm not sure if anyone on Planet Earth has ever attempted, stumbled into, or purposely targetted
Bullet Mackerel on Fly! But, I honestly believe it would be very very possible to catch a Bullet Mackerel on Fly Tackle. Last Saturday there was acres of them on the East Side. Bullet Mackerel are nearly identical to Little Tunny (False Albacore, Fat Albert) only much smaller. These fish are very difficult to target with the traditional metal lures on spinning tackle. These fish attack in waves, racing across the surface of the water in formations 25 to 40 fish wide and can stay in an area for a pretty long time. They are usually accompanied by a flock of Terns hovering over the action. They seem to be pretty approachable by boat but, then again, I've seen them spooked by the splash of a stingsilver hitting the water! The biggest problem with Bullet Mackerel are that they feed on really tiny stuff and unlike Spanish Mackerel, Albacore, or Bonito, they make very very few exceptions. What I mean is, the stingsilver or spoon you throw is to big for One of them, it's too big for ALL of them.... Very rare that one strikes a "castable metal lure". Sabiki strings have worked okay for me at drawing strikes, but they also have a drawback. When you actually do hook one, their weak jaw structure combined with their incredibly powerful propulsion unit usually results in a pulled hook and the smaller the hook, the easier it pulls out... After chasing them extensively the past 3 years, I'm convinced a Fly Rod is the way to go! I guess what it all boils down to is "who cares?" It's a small, oily Mackerel and it is very much an unknown species.... Mostly misidentified as a "baby Albacore".... Anyway, if I go by myself next week and if the weather is pretty enough, I will take my 5wt Fly Rod and give it a try. I'm all for a challenge and I like weird and feisty fish! We'll see what happens. I would rather take clients out for a limit of Red Drum and a bucket full of Bluefish! It's March and fresh fish are hard to come by!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bullet Mackerel
Bullet Tuna
Frigate Mackerel
Frigate Tuna

Whats up Captain?

Capt. Marty said...

Okay. Obviously Bullet Mackerel and Bullet Tuna are the same thing. Likewise, Frigate Mackerel-Tuna. Both of these species are found all over the place, Atlantic, Pacific, Mediterranean Sea, etc etc... Both are small, schooling Mackerel more closely related to Atlantic Mackerel than our "toothy" Spanish and King Mackerels. The Bullet and Frigate are essentially plankton feeders that ram-ventilate feed. Or basically crash through their food source with mouth agape.... As far as I can tell from internet sources, The Bullet Mackerel is more common in the Atlantic and most large adults seem to occur in the eastern Atlantic or Mediterranean Sea. As they grow to adulthood, I would imagine they become predators of small fish and squid. I swear I saw a picture last year of a Spanish Fisherman holding a 16 lb Bullet Mackerel. Frigate Mackerel, on the other hand, seem to be a popular inshore quarry in some areas of Australia. I would imagine in many places around the World that they are miss-identified and confused with each other. I know I have been shaky with these two for a while, but I think I got it figured out now. The wormlike markings on the back of both of these species hold the key, as do the pectoral fin.(our Albacore, properly called Little Tunny have nearly identical markings) Okay, so on Bullet Mackerel these markings are nearly vertical despite looking like a squiggly lines. On Frigate Mackerel, these squiggly lines are slightly more diagonal. Another clue is the small pectoral fin both species possess. On the Bullet Variety, the tip of a compressed pec fin barely reaches a spot below where the forward edge of the squiggly lines begin. On the Frigate Species, the compressed pec fin reaches past the spot directly below where the squiggly lines begin. I guess my Science Credentials take a hit with my continued use of technical terminology such as "squiggly lines"... Hey man, I surely don't want anyone throwing any Grant Money in my direction to lead research into the Field of Defining Obscure Mackerel Movements and Biomass Sustainability! Oh yeah, one final tidbit.... Our beloved Albacore (Little Tunny for real) well they are small at some point in their lifespan, so there is always a chance that your Bullet Mackerel/Frigate Mackerel dilemma could actually be an Albacore. Remember, our Albacore has the dusky spots on his lower chest. The Bullets and Frigates do not. Now, in my years of chasing Albies, and I started chasing them in 1978 as a 13 year old, or about 17 years before the Harker's Island-George Bush does It-Fly Fishing craze started... I've seen a lot of Albacore, and I've seen a few without spots. So, one final thing to remember.... The Bullet and the Frigate both have a long gap between their first and second dorsal fins. Whereas our Albacore has a high first dorsal fin that tapers down real low before it ends just forward of where the second dorsal fin begins. Beware and remember, Mr Albacore does have a groove that he can retract that fin down into, so he can fool you.... Well, there you have it. I think. What was your question. No doubt, I'm losing my mind! In the end, all 3 are beautiful, strong fighting, and strong tasting. Game Fish.

All this with no copy and paste. College Level Work? Not sure, but worthy of a Doctorate over near Carrboro.. "Carr" how fitting. Not just a car, I want what PJ got.

1. 2013 GMC Yukon
2. 2012 Chevy Camaro SS
3. 2013 Mercedes Benz 350
4. 2013 Chevy Tahoe
5. 2009 Porsche Cheyenne

Maybe the AD will sweeten my deal with an ounce of Hooch and an unregistered 9mm Handgun

Hey, I'll just settle for my beautiful and thoughtful wife telling me how interesting my little tale of Bullets-Frigates-Alberts was..... I love you Jennifer. Can't wait to Rock that Mountain with you!!!! Coffee perking and Catfish sizzlin over an open fire! Starry Night! Warm and Light Wind! I can't wait!!!

Sorry, I got sidetracked.... Again

Anonymous said...

I can't wait either!! Best coffee ever! Even if the air mattress deflates! I love you, baby!!

Capt. Marty said...

That last Anon right there was from completely lovely Mrs Top Water, whom possesses much inner and outer beauty, as well as a lusty thrist for coffee. One of these days I will share with my readers a tale from long ago about what happened (I can vaguely separate FACT from MYTH) to the first 2 diamond engagement rings I gave her. Funny legends, but I got to figure a way to sneak them into a "Fishing Blog".....

Love you Darling

Anonymous said...

Bullet Mackerel on Rye with ranch dressing and bean sprouts ..... Damn I'm starving

Mike said...

Don't forget the skillet this time.