Wednesday, March 19, 2014

March 19- Hickory Shad Quest





This weekend I've got some prospective World Record Seekers that are looking to put their names in the IGFA Yearbook, the lone "Authority" on Fishing Records and Capt Marty's Holy Grail"..... Anyway, they are coming a long ways to try this and I needed to check out the River conditions, the Hickory Shad populations, and I need to take this information and also consider the weather forecast so I can give the "Green Light" or the "Red Light" to this Fishing Expedition..... As usual, for all my River questions and any general knowledge that I attain, I always turn to Capt Tuggy for the answers. Tuggy grew up on these Rivers and him and his father are a vast wealth of information and experience... So today, Capt Tuggy was kind enough to take me out on a Neuse River Scouting trip. Under normal conditions, I can do alright Shad Fishing in the Neuse. However, this year there has been one big Rain, Snow, and Ice event after another and all the Eastern North Carolina Rivers are high and dirty. Flood Stage or close to it..... We need 2-3 weeks of dry weather. We ain't getting it, as a matter of fact, we fished in the rain today.... So today, Capt Tuggy took me to several new places..... The one that made the best impression on me was Grindle Creek. I did well here. I had a pair of doubles. I had a little rally that got me 12-15 bites in a 10 minute span..... Unfortunately, out of 18 Hickory Shad that we landed, only one was a female. These female Hickory Shad will be the one's that we will be seeking and trying to catch if our "Record Seeking" trip happens...... My angler and I have some decisions to make. Thank goodness, Capt Tuggy is also available to "raise the odds" that my anglers will be successful in their Record Quest. Total Catch for the Day: 18 Hickory Shad up to 1 lb 8oz

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Grubs or spoons? Tandem rigs? I'm going to try and get down there saturday if possible before the next front moves in. I guess water levels will depend on what they release at falls lake.

Capt. Marty said...

Not sure about Falls Lake's effect on the lower Neuse??? The River WILL BE swollen and muddy. Period. You will have to get back in a swamp somewhere. Pitch Kettle and Contentnea are always good choices. Capt Tuggy showed me some others yesterday. Beaver Creek, Grinndle Creek, and others... We fished Grindle and I love that place....

My rigs never change. I use two exclusively. First. combo rig uses a 1/16, 1/24, or 1/32 leadhead jig (pink or white) with a small white or chartreuse grub body followed by a spoon, preferably silver but I do use gold... That's my favorite.... Number two rig is simply dual leadheads/ grubs. The dual grubs is my favorite on the Tar River for White Shad.... As far as Hickorys go, I believe the " throb and flash" of that spoon makes a big difference. Also, I DO NOT use those little Hildebrant Spoons. I like the bigger ones.