Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March 11- Futile Efforts in the Hatteras Surf


Back to work time for me and this morning I drove the "new" Top Water Truck around the "Circle 'round Pamlico Sound" Route just so I could try to catch me a Red Drum from the surf..... The Bite has been going strong since October! With light winds and warm air temperatures, today was a sure thing, right? Well, wrong..... Actually, I was not surprised. Since I am not yet willing to drive my new Truck out to Cape Point (where the Drum chewed again this morning). Kerry and I had to fish at the Buxton Jetties, a scene of past conquests, but not on this day.... Sadly, I gave up after 30 casts. It felt good to feel the cold Ocean Water collapse my waders against my legs. Very therapeutic and refreshing, but that's not why we go fishing..... Kerry, on the other hand, who last week, after living 25 years on Hatteras Island decided: "Dammit I'm Going Fishing".... He boldly went out and bought: 1. Reel.  2. Rod  3. Line 4.  Leadheads.  5. Gulp.  6. Fishing License.  And finally 7. Waders.  Now, one week into his Fishing Career he is still searching for his first bite. His final purchase needs to be a 8. Beach Driving Permit which will unfortunately lead to 9. New 4 WD Truck. Which will lead to Divorce and Child Support and then Kerry will be on the Beach searching for cheap protein like the Naked and Afraid people or The Guy that Switched from Cable to Dish..... Anyway, Kerry tossed his Gulp 200 times and we had nothing to show for it..... Never fear, we have 6 more days and we will catch some fish... Maybe I'll even surprise us with another Monkfish at night around the Ferry Docks or something even more remarkable.... Like an Atlantic Torpedo. I saw one of those one year around the Ferry Docks too. I love the variety that Hatteras offers in the Winter. There isn't much to see, but when you do see something, the potential is there to GET SHOCKED...... Total Catch for the Day: NOTHING

4 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

Very Disappointing at the Lack of Comments.

Jordan said...

Need to see the new topwater truck

Anonymous said...

Need to see some freaking fish caught to get us excited. Come on man, we live vicariously through you, catch something.

Capt. Marty said...

Man...... It blew like 60 kts last night. It was disheartening to see the poor new Top Water Truck pretty much "in the tube" over and over of 10 foot seas rolling the Ferry. The decks were awash with 2 feet of green salt water. BEJESUS. Would've been funny but my damn Truck was taking the brunt of it... The old Top Water Truck used to thrive in that sheet.... Anyway, I couldn't fish last night. Last year at this time, I was catching an occasional Tautog, plus Conger Eels, Black Sea Bass, and Oyster Toads. I gotta get back in the action! Plus, if the surf cleans up, the Red Drum should still be there. Finally, if all else fails, I am going to HIT the Horseshoe Pond in Buxton. In other words, I will catch a damn fish somewhere in the next couple days. I promise.