Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 14- March Monkfish Madness





As Referees in Greensboro "blue" or "swallowed" their whistles in accordance with Conference  Headquaters Directives..... Many miles to the East, Capt Marty waged battle with another of Mother Earth's Cold Water Super Predators: The Monkfish..... Two weeks after capturing my first of these highly prized food fish, I was working diligently on deck when I heard my Co-Chief Kerry frantically calling my name. When I looked up, Kerry, who was standing on the Ramp, was pointing into the water and was drawing the attention of more co-workers. I knew immediately that it was a Monkfish! Fearing that a couple of my playful co-workers would "pour coffee on him" or "throw rocks at him" or "flick cigarette butts at him", I raced to my Truck and grabbed my 8 ft gaff and my Drum Rod already rigged up with a white gulp. The Rod could've been important if Mr Monkfish had've slipped out around the clusters! As it was, the Apex Predator was still patrolling the Bulkhead. Therefore, in I uncharacteristic fashion, I ignored "fishing etiquette", and quickly free-gaffed the Monkfish. So it was done. Not real fishing, this was purely collecting food! However, it is a very High-End Food Item we're talking about! Top Quality Sea Food. A Chef's Choice..... The last Monkfish was certainly delicious and it was a big one at 25 lbs. This one is smaller at 14 lbs. Regardless of the method of capture, it is a impressive and unusual catch! Total Catch for the Night: 14 lb Monkfish

***I apologize for the photo quality but they were cell phone shots with no flash....However, I kinda like them. They have a surreal haziness to them that definitely matches the unique physical presense, mystique and aura this fish possesses. It is definitely a "different" kind of beast than I'm used to handling***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just heard the Wolfpack will be holding a parade on selection Sunday to celebrate making it to the ACC tournament Semi-final game.

By the way, I'm glad you had a gaff and not a net.

Go Heels!

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

Me too Brent! I'm retiring that net! Wolfpack? Haven't you heard, I'm a Pitt Panther fan! Had to pick a new team. My Harold Arceneaux Weber State jersey is getting old.....

Anonymous said...

That's it, I'm not sharing any more of my fishing secrets with you.

Brent