Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March 25- More Winter Weather

Can you believe that tonight/tomorrow in the general area of both Beaufort and Hatteras we have Storm Warnings Offshore (48 kts-63 kts), Gale Warnings along the Coast (34 kts-47 kts), a Coastal Flood Advisary,  and a Freeze Warning. Tomorrow is going to be brutally cold and disgustingly windy. The Winter of 2014 refuses to relax its frigid grip..... Fishing will be at a standstill..... Meanwhile, I'm pretty excited. Jennifer and I have got us a little camping trip planned to Mt Morrow State Park. Therefore, I've been scouring the Internet looking for a way to incorporate a Fishing Trip into this Vacation. It seems that the "fishy" Pee Dee River and Blewett Falls Reservoir are both very close by! So, I got me a little Catfish Trip planned and I also figure that I might be able to catch some fish on my own as well.... The Shad Run on the Pee Dee is supposed to be legendary. Foot access is something that I have no idea about! However, it warms my heart just thinking about the possibilities!

By the way, on this vacation I will be fishing with very highly thought of and respected Fishing Guide named Robbie Burr. Robbie's website is:

www.pdfishingadventures.com

After a quick glance all I got to say is, that place looks like Catfish City to me! We all know that me and Columbo are "The World's Worst Catfishermen". Hopefully I will gain a shred of insight and knowledge that I can put to use in the Neuse River when I get home!

6 comments:

James W Lung said...

After my water haul on the Tar last Friday, I'm checking out a trip to the Pee Dee below Blewett Falls. Interested in what you find out.

Capt. Marty said...

I know some guys that fished the Pee Dee last year in SC and it was epic. Well over 100 Hickory Shad and well over 100 Herring too. Not sure if the Pee Dee is getting hammered by high water this Spring like our traditional Shad Rivers are.... Anyhow, I'm not going camping until the middle of April, but you can read able the trip here. Next week when I get home I'm sure I'll be a little antsy and I could see me making a day trip to???? Somewhere????

Anonymous said...

A little history on Morrow Mountain....it was a major quarry site for this area's Native Indians. While you are in the area you should pay a visit to the Hardaway site just a few miles away.

"The Hardaway Site has been referred to as "The Remington Arms Factory of 10,000 BC", but the raw material for those weapon points and tools came primarily from one location: The top of Morrow Mountain, about 5 miles away"........

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1PT46_morrow-mountains-special-rock?guid=74882a5d-8f31-439d-99a4-c0546124a13f

Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

Very interesting. I'm pretty excited about this trip. Also, I really appreciate you taking time to share this information.
In my haste to spend every waking minute on the water, I have not properly explored my own home state. Everything in my life is still slanted towards fishing, but I am excited to learn and experience the history and culture and nature of the places nearby these legendary fishing areas.... As I check off the Pee Dee River from my to-do list, my attention will turn to the French Broad River and the New River. I'm sure those areas have much more to offer besides a Smallmouth Bass and a Muskellunge. You know, I gotta keep the wife happy and interested!

Anonymous said...

You will enjoy fishing with Robbie. He knows how to catch a catfish.
Jerry

Capt. Marty said...

James,

Scratch what I said... Them boys I know caught White Shad and Herring, not Hickorys!!

Let that sink in..... Geez For Ever, I've caught like 4 White Shad in my damn life!

White MFing Shad. man them things are TROPHY FISH to me