Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5- Top Water Tidbits and Fried Monkfish

Here we are approaching Mid-March and the winter weather continues. Yesterday I drove through 125 miles of icy roads and cold rain. Today, it's cold and wet and miserable. Lots of people complain that we don't get but a "little taste" of winter here on the North Carolina Coast. Well, this year I saw we've had a full share. Now it's time to warm up and dry out. Let us get out and intercept those migrating Shad. Let us scour the Shoals and Beaches for Red Drum. Let us get back out in the Big Water and sample the Ocean's bounty. See what kind of oddities turn up.... Like a Codfish, a Pollock, or even a Monkfish!

Speaking of Monkfish, I fried mine up last night. I cut it up into little nuggets and rolled it in Autry's Seafood Breader. In the Frying Pan, it swelled up and browned very slowly. It was obviously reluctant to give up its moisture! I feared overcooking it as I really wanted a nice golden fish nugget. When I finally got the color I desired, it was time for the big test..... Jennifer! And after the first forkful a smile spread across her face and she said she loved it! Mission Accomplished! On the plate and in the palate it turned out very different in texture and wetness than any fish I'd ever tried before, while being very mild and very delicious. My lasting impression of it was this: This high quality meat deserved better than to be simply dunked in hot grease. An intelligent, highly skilled cook, otherwise known as a Chef, that knows his business could've turned the Monkfish nuggets into a culinary treat or fine entree.... My method of cooking deserves a Bluefish or a Trout fillet, not a Monkfish nugget.... that being said, my favorite Restaurant, Ruddy Ducks, is currently selling Cajun Monkfish Bites as an appetizer. I will eat over there this week and try their spin on Monkfish bites.

The Top Water Boat is in the shop getting some scheduled maintenance and has also tossed me a $500 surprise. Dammit.... Admiral Currin always said "B-O-A-T" stood for "Break Out Another Thousand"... As in Dollars. $1000. It sucks paying out big bucks when the old Scow just sits in the yard. It'll all be worth it when the first Cobia of the season hits the deck....

Thanks guys and I appreciate you guys following me despite the LACK of FISHING

6 comments:

Admiral said...

1500

Capt. Marty said...

Well.....

New tranny 1400
New tires 600
New battery 80

I'll keep it if 1500 is all it'll bring

FinchasersUSA said...

Please report back about those monkfish bites at the Ruddy Duck. That's my favorite place to eat in Carteret County and I've never had monkfish.

Capt. Marty said...

Finchaser,

I will be eating Cajun Fried Monkfish tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Funny how we were just talking about these things at C-Bo's wedding! You sure didn't waste any time catching one.

Anonymous said...

How'd you clean that nasty lookin critter?!