Friday, November 14, 2008

Nov 11-13 Hatteras Night Fishing


This week at Hatteras so far has been a little disappointing. The weather has been unsettled, but it hasn't been as bad as forecasted, which has actually kept a lot of Boats off the water when they could've been fishing! The nights around the Full Moon have been beautiful, but I've been working all night. This has limited my chances, but I've still had a few shots at nice fish. Tuesday night I had an 8+ pound Gray Trout twice follow a mirrorlure right to my feet, but it wouldn't eat it! Wednesday night I had "the biggest Squid I've ever seen in person" do the same thing. This Squid was at least 30" long not counting it's whips! On a positive note, I have caught a 19" Striped Bass that was quite a battle on my Trout rod. I've also caught 3 Summer Flounders up to 14" and 40 Black Sea Bass up to 13" on gulps. Wednesday night I walked 2 miles of Hatteras Inlet's south shoreline under perfect conditions and a bright moon. I threw a mirrorlure 500 times and never had a bite!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ever tried Storm's 4 inch wild-eyed suspending shad at night....works pretty good for me.

Anonymous said...

I meant ot leave my id.....cross-winds.

Capt. Marty said...

I use alot of Storm baits, not sure if I used that one. If you are referring to that daggone Trout, I had just tied on a mirrorlure for the Squid. (3 trebles works wonders on tenacles) I'm pretty sure the way that Trout acted, it would've eaten ANYTHING accept that mirrorlure. The problem was it(the Trout) first saw the mirrorlure and approached it when iI was about to lift it out of the water to throw it again. This happened under 2 huge spotlights and in 2 feet of water. I was standing 3 feet over the whole episode on a seawall. In other words, there was no way to cause the mirrorlure to do it's thing. It was a standoff. I should've just grabbed my net and scoopped him up. The "angler" in me wouldn't do it! In hindsight, the "angler" in me should've scooped him up, hooked him up, and dumped him out. Fought him, landed him, and claimed a great victory over my new career largest Gray Trout. Thank goodness I got that Citation out of the way in 2005, in similar fashion by the way. Same exact spot, but I happened to have a freshly bitten in half Finger Mullet on my hook instead!No plastic to inspect. I did look for that Trout every night the rest of the week and was ready. All I found was a Striped Bass and a few Flounders.

Capt. Marty said...

Accept should be except. Putting that ECU degree to work!

Anonymous said...

I got one of those ECU degrees.....just "gradumacated" in May at the ripe ole age of 52.

The wilded-eye suspenders area good bait.....I've only been able to find them on-line....tackle warehouse I believe.