Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nov 20 Elusive Big Speckled Trout


Another day of hard fishing. Todd joined me and his perferred target was a 5 lb. Speckled Trout. Keeping with tradition, I was greeted by a 20+ knot west wind this morning which eliminated my first 2 choices of where to go fishing. By the end of the day we had ran 45 miles and we were still looking for the 5 pounder. Unfortunately, our first stop and our last stop would've been the Perfect Place except the bigger class of Speckled Trout had jumped the Rocks and we were fishing "on the wrong side". Very disturbing. For the trip, Todd and I caught and released app. 25 Speckled Trout from 7" to 15". After dropping Todd off, I journeyed back out and was "hard-headed" enough to anchor up in the same place. I caught plenty of small Speckled Trout up to 15", Bluefish, and Sheepsheads while I watched others catch 5+pounders. I finally I joined the crowd and caught me a fat 24" Speckled Trout that weighed 5 lb. 4 oz. that will qualify for an NC Fishing Citation. I also caught a 18" Speckled Trout and a 18" Gray Trout. Congrats to the Boats that had them "cornered". Hooray for me and I'm sorry to Todd. Those Big Trout weren't supposed to be there...Final Total Catch for the Day: 40 Speckled Trout up to 24", 1 Gray Trout, 5 Bluefish, and 3 Sheepsheads.

No comments: