Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nov 18 Wow--Speckled Trout in the Snow

Unbelievable. This afternoon I went fishing where the Trout were biting 8 days ago and as I was putting my waders on....And it started Snowing. Then I hit the Beach and I was met by a perfect school of Albacore. At least 10 fish, that stayed in 1 place for 30+ seconds, 100 feet off the Beach, and in 4-5 feet of water. And I messed it up! No strikes, 1 good follow and swirl right off my rod tip. After that I chased them around until my socks were balled up in the toe of my waders. I probably got 20-25 casts into the melee and couldn't draw a strike. I needed metal! I gave up but it was still an adrenaline rush. Albacore on foot is always a challenge and that was my first good shot in several years. Then I found some Bluefish and Lizardfish, and I sacrificed a bag of gulps. Finally, around 2:45 the Speckled Trout bite started and in 30 minutes I released 14 Speckled Trout in the 10" to 12" range. I feel better about the weather now. Albacore are inside the Inlet and the Speckled Trout are still hungry. Total Catch for the Day: 12 Speckled Trout, 5 Bluefish, and 5 Lizardfish.

No comments: