Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Nov 19 Speckled Trout on Every Cast


I must apologize to Dave Phiefer, an avid fisherman and Smallmouth Guide that I met on the Beach today. If I would have only tried 1 cast with a slow retrieve, he could've caught all the Trout he wanted. But he was there for Albacore and so was I and after a long walk and fishing discussion we finally found something interesting. Flocks of dipping and screaming gulls right on the Beach. But, no Albacore. I made about 10 casts with metal while Dave watched. Then I walked back to the beach and we talked for a while longer. Then he headed off and I headed back in the water, this time looking for Trout with a green grub. My first cast was successful. I looked up the hill and Dave was gone. An hour later I was standing in the middle of a Speckled Trout blitz, screaming gulls and showering shrimp! Solid Speckled Trout, 30 feet away and they formed a horseshoe around me. Enough Trout in 4-5 feet of water to turn it dark. Every cast ain't good enough of a discription. If I lost one, another would grab it, lose it, another would grab it. I was pitching my bait 15 feet and they were biting it. Twice I caught 2 fish at a time on a mirrorlure. Every Speckled Trout that I caught had 2-6 Shrimp antennae hanging out of their mouth and their stomachs were bulging. I don't think my numbers were astronomical because I was calling everybody on my cell phone and bragging. I was throwing junk that I'd never tie on. Anybait. Every cast. Of course, these Trout ran small. I didn't keep any but I could've got a limit if 13" to 15". I came out of the water at 4 pm and I left them biting. My guess for the Total Catch for the Day: 75 Speckled Trout from 9" to 15".

No comments: