Wednesday, December 17, 2008

NO Fishing and Old Pictures part 3







My bi-weekly Hatteras Fishing Vacation (my job) has temporarily been upset. Last week, and for the next 6-8 shifts, I will be working on the Ocracoke to Swan Quarter Run. This is a great place to work also. Great guys and a lot of fun. But no fishing. I fish. They hunt. These boys talk deer all day and stare at ducks with their binoculars. What's up with that! As for fishing at home, fuel problems and bad weather have put a halt to my Fishing!
Now for the Old Pictures. Pic #1 is David Scott Esham with a Blackfin Tuna that I honestly don't remember! David Scott who now owns and operates The Pony Island Motel at Ocracoke. David Scott is well known and well liked by everybody. In June of 1992 we had paired up with another Ocracoke Legend and was working with Ronnie O'Neal on the Miss Kathleen while home for the summer from UNC. Anyway, I sailed with them and 2 Californians as part of a make-up party on a beautiful June morning. Actually the fishing was as slow as the weather was good. It was a day your mind could wonder off to never never land. Around noon, I was glazed over with a blank stare and while sitting in the chair, I watched a sickle shaped object appear around 7 feet behind a swimming Spanish Mackerel that David Scott had on a flat line that was tight to the port stern. The sickle lazily wagged back and forth and kept pace with the Mackerel. It didn' t even register in my mind. I watched as time crept by. Then a bill rose from the surface a crashed beside the Mackerel but missed. "What the Hell was that" I wondered. I peeled myself out of the chair and walked to the stern. I peered over the side and there under the surface is a huge purple shape, keeping pace with the boat's forward motion, a few feet below the Mackerel. I quickly turned around to see where everybody else was and this is what I saw: David Scott and Capt Ronnie were inside the cabin making sandwichs and the 2 Californians were engaged in an intimate conversation about who knows what. I was alone with a Blue Marlin! I quickly turned back to look at the fish and with a mighty thrust the fish rose and engulfed the Mackerel. No doubt about it. I flipped Ronnie's old 9/0 Penn Senator into free spool and killed the clicker. I picked up the rod and I felt the smooth tempo of line peeling off the reel. Without speaking I threw the Reel back into gear and I can't even say I set the hook. It was already set and the Rod developed a deep bend and the fish's forward speed went from what felt like 6 knots to 20 knots. Suddenly 150 feet behind the stern and moving from right to left a 400+ pound Blue Marlin shot out of the water and propelled itself 60-70 feet on its tail. Incredible, and I was the only person that knew. I had great news to tell Ronnie and David and I figured the best was to announce it was to engage the clicker! What a beautiful sound an old 9/0 makes when hooked to a Locomotive! David Scott appeared in seconds and saw the second jump which was now 200 yards away. He started clearing lines as quickly as possible and Ronnie saw from the location and direction of the fish that a quartering turn would be more effective than backing. I saw the real problem though, line was melting off the Reel too quickly and David Scott needed help. I put a Californian in the chair and handed him the Rod and hadn't even cleared a single line by the third jump. It was 600 yards out and seconds later the line broke with the sound of a rifle shot. The old 9/0 had about 20 wraps of 50# mono left on the spool. The entire event probably lasted less than 30 seconds from bite to break! Incredible dissapointment 16 years ago has faded. Today this fishing trip remains my favorite Blue Marlin experience even though it ended with a lost fish!
Pic#2 is of a mate up at Hatteras on a 1990 fishing trip on the charter boat Atlantic Blue. My memory of this guy is etched in my memory for a different reason. This guy actually sold us a case of Budweiser at "Gulf Stream Prices" and then proceeded to drink at least 20 of them. I thought it was pretty funny.
Pic#3 is of Capt. Pizza Kannon with a Queen Triggerfish that was caught in Feb. of 1991. Capt. Pizza is one of my favoites and best Captains period. Back in 1990, he was kind enough, and patient enough, and probably desperate enough, to take an inexperienced, fishing-crazed, punk from Raleigh (ME) on the Continental Shelf's winter-time commercial fishing crew. That winter was a dream come true to me. I experienced species of fish and numbers of fish that even hard-core recreational fishermen will never experience. We fished on a 5 year old, extremely modern and efficient 100 foot Headboat, this wasn't no Snapper Boat, with a 6 man crew and we stayed out until the boxes were full! I woke up in 400 fathoms. I woke up 60 miles off Wrightsville Beach. I woke up 30 miles off Hatteras. We fished until we dropped. We had fish gutting parties that lasted for hours. We made rally rigs with 10-15 hooks and caught Beeliners and Silvers on every hook. I could go outside to piss (or throw up) and catch a Wahoo or a Tuna on a light line. Catch 8 Snowy Groupers up to 35 pounds on 1 drop and fill up a trash can. 18 King Mackerel that weighed 900 pounds on bottom rigs in 400 feet of water! 4000 pounds of Grouper in one amazing bite. It was amazing. And Capt Pizza would actually pay me for my efforts. Amazing. I can't do that for a living, but Capt. Pizza gave me a lifetime of memories from December 1990 until March 1991. Thanks Capt. Pizza, you were right about the first night of my first trip when I went outside. I went out to throw up and I was embarrassed. I tossed out a cigar minnow because I knew the guys were watching and I could hear them laughing. You told me to ease up that I didn't have to prove anything, but you sensed I was sick. I might have had 4-5 horrible days ahead of me. If I got sick and stayed sick, I would've never gone back out on a commercial trip. But that 31 pound Wahoo ate that cigar minnow and I felt so much better. That feeling lasted all winter and I'll never forget those experiences! We missed a great Super Bowl, the first Gulf War, an entire Basketball Season, and the height of Vanilla Ice's popularity but it was time well spent in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool Man