Sunday, December 7, 2008

No Fishing and Old Pictures part 2




Since this is Speckled Trout Season here are a couple of old Speckled Trout pictures. The top picture is of me and Greg Fodrie. We caught these Speckled Trout and a bunch of others late in the afternoon on December 15, 1990. We were the last boat to leave Cape Lookout and we ran out of gas just inside Beaufort Inlet. It was a crazy experience but we managed to make it home in pitch darkness. The next morning Greg's boat The Thunder Chicken had sunk at the dock! The second picture is of me and a partially obscurred catch of 100 Speckled Trout from 2-3 pounds each. It was taken in November of 1988. This was the first time I ever experienced "a Trout on every cast, all day long". I had the Town Dog, Jesse, with me and on the way home we stopped directly on top of a Humpback Whale and her calf off Shackleford Banks. I had the Whale's tail on one side of my 17 foot Boston Whaler and the Whale's head and giant pectoral fins on the other side. I expected to be tossed into the air! However, we survived the day without incident and for me, Speckled Trout fishing would never be the same!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man......does that pic of you and Fodge bring back memories. That same night Fodrie almost burned down my dad's house. We were out partying and he had gone home early to crash at my dad's. When I got home later, I walk in the door and a blast of heat and smoke almost knocked me down! I look over at the wood stove and it was glowing bright red. I find Greg passed out in a pool of sweat. I mean it must have been 150+ degrees in there!!! He had packed the wood stove full of oak and opened the vents wide open. Then the next morning I remember getting the call about Greg's boat sunk at the dock. The dock lines were the only thing keeping that boat from sinking out of sight. I seem to remember someone at the dock saying, "cut the lines and she will float back up." I almost fell off that dock I was laughing so hard! If I remember corectly, that boat and motor both lived to fish another day. You know what they say....
God looks after fools and drunks. I guess that's why we all survived!

Really enjoy your website...
Good fishin to ya.....
Capt. Bryan

Capt. Marty said...

You're right. We made it to Hunter's Dock, that was as far as we got that night. Tied her up with 2 lines to the floating dock. The next morning she was hanging straight down by those 2 lines. Bobby Hill and 2 come-a-longs saved the boat. It was a mess. Seems like everything was so fun back then, I guess we were all out of control!

See you on the water!