Sunday, November 22, 2009

Daily Fishing Reports

A person was telling me the other day how much he enjoyed my fishing reports. He said "I can tell the real ones" I laughed and said OKAY and pretended not to hear what he just said. What the hell? For the Record, all my reports are real. I'm a numbers cruncher and my memory is sharp, when it involves fishing. I can tell you off the top of my head that on July 28, 1988 I caught exactly 84 Spanish Mackerel casting a stingsilver on the Cape Lookout Shoals. I am sorry for being so thorough in MY REPORTS on MY WEBSITE. Perhaps some guys don't get numbers worth bragging about, so they accuse me of making up numbers just to make their failures more tolerable.

My Fishing Reports are not the generic, run of the mill fishing reports that are so common on the internet. My reports tell exactly what happened to me, my clients, or my friends on that particular day. Good or Bad. Hopefully, all the days that I should've been working, but I was fishing instead (thousands of these days through the 80's, 90's, and up to 2009) will lead me to more successful days on the water than unsuccessful ones. All my reports are "on the money" and at least 90% have pictures to back me up. Every once in a while I drop my camera overboard or simply forget it.

If the fishing sucks, I can blame it on something, but I'm going to report it as "SUCKS". See June 12. See September 28. If the fishing sucks, the numbers are going to suck! If the fishing is good, I'm going to throw out some good numbers, period. I agree, It aint about numbers, it's about having a good time. Or meeting expectations. Or taking advantage of every opportunity. Or whatever. Regardless of that, I keep count. Always have and I always will. I know for a fact that I caught 1807 fish in 1988. I wrote down every single one and I still got the notepad. If you don't believe in MY NUMBERS, come take a ride on my Boat and count 'em yourself. If you don't believe my Fishing Reports, don't read them. Go home and sit on your toilet and read your Salt Water Sportsman and pretend you're a fisherman.

2386 FISH so far in 2009. Yes I've tried to count every single fish. The Bluefish days with 2-3 guys catching them on every cast is a challenge, but I bet that my margin of error is very small.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you keep count of all those fish?

Capt. Marty said...

I don't understand the question. When we release a Albacore, in my head I say "One Albacore". If we release another Albacore, I say "Two Albacore". At the end of the day, I have a count for the Albacore that we caught.

ehirunner said...

I like the daily reports too--I just wish they were more daily. And I believe the numbers.

Here's one thing I wonder: you cast to a school of 200 drum, and catch 30. How do you know you're not catching the same five fish over and over again?

In other news, kayak fishing for bluefin makes the most popular story for the entire New York (damn yankee) Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/sports/23fishing.html?em

In more important matters, I (Chris) talked to you in August about a charter for a date that fell through for both of us--will be calling you soon to book for 12/30, I hope.

Capt. Marty said...

December 31 sounds good Chris. Maybe we can celebrate the New Year with some big Trout and a Striped Bass. About the Drum, who knows. I can tell you this much. From point of hook-up to point of release, the boat has usually drifted a pretty good ways in most cases. I sometimes have to climb back up the Tower to find the school again. Of course, this isn't always the case. I often wonder if the released Drum can easily find his way back to the school.

Robbie said...

Capt Marty, i interpret that person's comment to be that they believe your posts are real versus others that might be more, well, "fisherman's tales." Either way, Capt Marty tells it like it is, good or bad, i was on the June 12 trip :-( .

JD Dallas said...

Marty, your fishing reports are the ONLY ones I believe down there. JD