Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nov 5 Albacore, Flounder and Red Drum
















A beautiful day, but not quite as fishy as I had hoped. Maybe I just gave up too quickly. The weather was getting prettier all the time and conditions were getting right for exploring farther to the East (where I love to fish!) when I came home at 2pm. Here's how the day went. Albacore fishing was good, not great. The fish were not staying up very long at all. It took a little luck and a lot of moving around this morning to stay on the fish. My first cast of the day connected on a 10 lb Albacore. I also caught a 8 lb Albacore on my 3 wt Fly Rod. The best fish of the day came on my Trout Rod with 6# test. I was searching the Shackleford Beach for Red Drum when I saw 5 Albacore cruising right up in the surf. I made a good cast and the race was ON! The fastest Albacore got there first and got released 10 minutes later. In between those 3 fish came a lot of casting and 3 other Albacore. I think the better Albacore Fishing was to the West, but like the variety that I normally find to the East! The most interesting thing of the day was the incredible numbers of Summer Flounder that are in the Shackleford Surf. In about an hour of effort I released 20 Summer Flounders and found 3 keepers at 15" each. I was casting a 5" White Jerk Bait right up on the sand to get strikes from these fish. Hook one and sometimes 2 or 3 others would follow it to the Boat! Finally, I got a tip on a school of Red Drum and I went and found them. One small group of maybe 15 Red Drum in the surf at Rough Point. My first and only cast connected on a fiesty 24" Red Drum. That's it! Total Catch for the Day: 6 Albacore, 23 Summer Flounder and 1 Red Drum **2235 Total Fish in 2009**

No comments: