Sunday, November 15, 2009

Nov 12 Squid Fishing at Hatteras




Thursday was a Beautiful Night in Hatteras Village, even as the Beaches were being battered to the South (Hwy 12 in Ocracoke) and to the North (Buxton to Chesapeake Bay) during the high tides. The calm winds and clear water allowed me an opportunity to go out and make a few casts and catch something before everything got blown away! Fishing around the Ferry Docks and Oden's Dock wasn't great but it was interesting and there was enough action to keep me going for a couple of hours. The highlight of the night was a 28" TL Squid (counting the whips) that I caught in the Ferry Basin. I had missed 5 strikes on a Gulp in the same exact spot and I was convinced that it was a baby Flounder laying on the bottom under the lights. After bites 6 and 7, I thought "No way a Flounder is that stupid" I went over to my truck and tied on a Squid Jig. As soon as the Jig hit the water I was hooked up! Seconds later the water turned black with ink and my Squid was jetting across the surface. There's nothing like a big Squid on light spinning tackle! When I finally lifted this Squid out of the water his last blast of water shot 10 feet in the air. The power of the water jets! After that, the fishing was just good enough to keep me going even though I never found the schools of Squid I expected. I ended up with 2 more smaller Squid and had enough calamari for a 4 man snack the next day. There were also a few Flounders and other things biting the Gulps. All the Flounders were too small or borderline 15". Regardless, they were all released. Total Catch for the Night: 3 Squid, 4 Southern Flounder and 1 Inshore Lizardfish

3 comments:

Mike said...

How did you cook the squid?

Anonymous said...

No Squid Salad. Yuck......The Fry Daddy. Rolled in House of Autry Seafood Breader and submerged in boiling oil. Damn Good. Any Fester Reports?

Capt Marty from Storm of 2009 Ground Zero

Kali said...

I just happened to stumble upon this site. I live in Greenville SC, and enjoy kayak fishing. I would loooove to go squid fishing, do you have any advice on a good location? What to look for to spot them? Where in Hatteras did you fish and is it easily accessible with a kayak? Thank you so much for sharing these lovely pics with us!
Kali