Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Nov 4 Great Albacore Fishing
















Today was a good one for me. I went by myself and Albacore Fishing was great. My Fisherman today (ME) had no problem fishing for what was the obvious #1 target. Here's how it went. My first cast after leaving the boat ramp got slammed by an Albacore east of Bft Inlet in Back Sound. Then I ran to the west and caught 6 Albacore between the Sheraton and Salter Path. All these fish came off small, fast moving pods that were smashing schools of bait in 20 feet of water. I also caught an oddball 15" Sea Mullet on a gulp right up against a Stop Net. Then I ran back up to Cape Lookout and found the best fishing of the morning. The Albacore inside the Bight were tearing it up and staying in one place for 30+ seconds. This makes for great fishing. In about 75 minutes, I caught 10 Albacore on 10# spin and 8# spin. I also caught 3 Albacore on a 9wt flyrod including a 34" NC Citation Albacore that bottomed out my 15# Bogagrip. My next cast hooked a bigger Albacore, but my fly line got tangled in my motor and I was unable to clear my line. I held on to the fly line for 45 seconds as the Giant Albacore bulldozed in circles under my stern. Finally, he popped the leader. Damn! After that I moved out front and caught 3 more Albacore on my trout rod with 6# test. Very testy battles and great fun. These Albacores weighed from 8 pounds to an estimated 18 pounds. Total Catch for the Day: 23 Albacore and 1 Gulf Sea Mullet

5 comments:

Sea Mister said...

Are you in the Tower Boat? What can you see up there when looking at those feeding frenzy's? What is the white bait you are throwing. You hooked up on 4 straight casts while we were watching.Thanks for any answers you can provide. Jay T

Capt. Marty said...

Yep that's me. No other Tower boats chasing Albies today. I was tossing a 4" white plastic jerk bait with 1/4 oz white lead head. Seemed like an automatic bite if I delivered it anywhere in the "zone" today. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Is that the same fish? Did you catch 1 or 23?

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capt. Marty said...

Hey Anon--I killed 2 Albacore today. Come by my house and get your Albacore Enema.