Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Capt Marty's NC CITATION QUEST

Lots of you know this, but here is a re-cap and pretty much my life story. Probably doomed my marriage to a great woman and has been chasing off recent girlfriends as well....... On June 24, 1988 I caught a 66 lb Amberjack on a clarkspoon in Beaufort Inlet. The next spring I got my citation in the mail... I decided that I wanted to collect them all... In the next 23 years, I have personally landed 520 NC Citation Fish for 33 different species. There are only 4 more to go... This year has been pretty good so far with 2 new species knocked off. However, the remaining NC Citations are getting harder to click off.... Here is my present status: I need Bluefish and Tarpon. I need Croaker and Bigeye Tuna...... Bluefish was at 17lbs for years and I've caught a dozen 15 pounders. Now the min weight has dropped to 15 lbs and I'm looking... Tarpon is certainly attainable. I've caught 20 or so in Florida, but I've never fished for them in NC and remarkably, I've never stumbled on to one in the thousands of days that I've fished. I've seen my share, but never on my line. Now the problem fish........ A 3 lb Croaker in NC waters is like the Loch Ness Monster. However, in the cold dark waters off Hatteras in the winter, the drop netters catch them. But damn, what a way to roll the dice. Jigging speck rigs, among the commercial fleet on top of every Croaker in the Atlantic Ocean, is worse than looking for the needle in the haystack. The 3 pound Croaker is there 100 feet below running a gauntlet of nets, but he is surrounded by 100 million of his smaller brethren. Talk about bad odds and we aint even factored in the Hatteras in Winter part, Jeeez..... The Bigeye Tuna is simple, but expensive. Go Charter Fishing out of Oregon Inlet and hope your lottery number comes up. Lots of Bigeyes up there, but just a couple of boats a day hit them on random days throughout the year... Pretty expensive way to close out a Quest... So that's it, the Quest that has destroyed my marriage and defined my very existence. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I can't tell which way its moving... The Bigeye Tuna could be waving a Croaker on a string in front of me, luring me deeper into the Tunnel... Farther and farther away from reality... But, hey, I got my Black Drum!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love when you retire your fishing rods to write an memoir of some sorts. Almost Hemingway like I can only imagine.
Right on

Capt. Marty said...

I always told Meredith that when I caught them all that I would quit fishing. She didn't quite make it. There just fish. But to a fisherman, every big fish is a story that he never forgets. I got enough for about 50 chapters. First big fish, the 66lb Amberjack.... The Flounder that sent me the emergency room.... The Triggerfish that cost me my first fiance.... The 50 lb Yellowfin Tuna on a stingsilver that caused me to get 88 fire ant bites.... The 83 lb Cobia that I tried to break off and slammed the rod back in the holder for 10 minutes with the drag locked down.... The Blue Marlin that I fought an hour to get beside the boat, got Charlie Wilkens to hold the leader so I could get my camera, and had to fight 3 more hours to get a crappy picture.... The Bluefin Tuna that ate 2 cigar minnows and me and Tony Mendoza stood side by side for 4 hours fighting the same fish.... The $52,900 King Mackerel..... They go on and on.....

ehirunner said...

As usual, it's all the dang reef donkey's fault. Just think, you coulda been President Barack W. "Marty" Moore, if that amberjack had broke off.

I guess I should be grateful that all I ever catch is dinks.

Anonymous said...

Show of love for the EXXXXX. I hear you boyeeeee

Anonymous said...

I do not know how I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this but it is undoubtedly the most entertaining thing I have ever read. I knew you were in trouble when you were casting into my fish tank.