Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22 Great Sightcasting Afternoon


Well, I couldn't take it... So I launched the boat after lunch... Then came some mechanical difficulties.... So we were really late leaving, like 3pm, and as fate would have it, I ran into a friend by Duke Marine Lab that told me exactly where to go... So 30 seconds after climbing into the tower, my bucktail was in the air, and I was hooked up. Ten minutes later, we got a 40 lb Cobia laying on deck. After that I meandered back to the west and found another of those brutally large, powerful fish that destroys a Number Count. He was hanging out under a black trash bag! One cast and Bang! A mile to the northwest and 60 minutes later, I had "my big fish of the year." A 71 lb Cobia. As usual, the 10-12 lb Ugly Stick is a killer, but has no lifting ability. It turns the big fish into "hour eaters". After a quick photo session, I climbed back upstairs and ran back to an area where I hoped the fish might be, and pulled into a group of 3 Cobia milling on top over a deep bait ball. One cast, one hook-up. I passed the rod down to Connie and tried to get a doubleheader but couldn't pull it off.... She landed her 38 lb Cobia 25 minutes later and I was thinking, "this is going to be an epic". 3 casts and 3 Cobia. At this point, bait balls was poping up everywhere and there was a couple hours of light left. Unfortunately, from that point on, every brown shape that we saw was a Blacktip Shark. These Blacktip Sharks ran from 18 to 40 lbs each. I hooked some for the heck of it, and I made them chase the bucktail.. After I'd lost enough tackle, I said "no more casts unless its a Cobia". And we never casted again. Great day, great advice on where to go, and a heck of a way to end a 3 week run of fishing. Total Catch for the Day: 3 Cobia up to 71 lbs and 5 Blacktip Sharks up to 40 lbs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fish......and nice looking lady. Perhaps another Bikini Girl......why hide it???

Anonymous said...

Long live Bikini Girl

Capt. Marty said...

Bikini Girl was a 25 yr old out for a boat ride. Connie was out to go catch a Cobia. I think......

Anonymous said...

WTG Marty I dug out a skunk flag for ya but I guess I'll be keeping it for a while. Maybe put it on the "dog". HEHEHEH!

Capt. Marty said...

I don't get the skunk very often. Only when completely focused on one fish and foresake all others..... Dog? Waterdog? I doubt he needs the skunk flag very often either. Linklighter, maybe..

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks Kendal for the tip and good luck to the PEGGY in all upcoming Marlin Tournaments! Go get paid!