Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 19 Big Cobias and Big Bluefish





Jim and Phil had a great half day trip. It was an afternoon trip and I'm always skeptical about those.... Here in NC, we go fishing at 6am. This aint Mexico! So real quick, Phil releases a 32" Cobia on a swimbait. Then we hit the Chopper Bluefish on top water plugs. Jim got out the fly rod, but they were gone! Then we hit a dead spot, a couple hours of nothing. Then we tried something old school. Anchored up and baited up. Within minutes Phil was hooked up to a 61 lb Cobia. I screwed up the gaff job and the fish was fighting again. I was sweating bullets. Five minutes later, the fish finally hit the deck and a celebration followed. Then came an endless procession of big Dog Sharks. I said "I think there was one Cobia here and we caught it". Jim said, and I quote, "No Phil got his, now I'm gonna get my 80 pounder" And I'll be damned if 2 minutes later we were hooked up. I had to drop anchor and give chase. 45 minutes later, Jim was proudly standing over his 81 lb Cobia. End of story. Total Catch for the Day: 3 Cobia up to 81 lbs, 2 Bluefish up to 12 lbs, and 12 Smooth Dogfish up to 20 lbs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unreal. That's better than bikini girl dude

Anonymous said...

That is a seriously big ol' honkin' cobia.

LOL at 'in NC we fish at 6' on behalf of Joey, aka the Knocker at Capt. Marty's door :)

Capt. Marty said...

For real, I blew that morning.... But that was bait balling and sunlight helps.... My apologies to Joey regardless... he definitely got the Capt overslept rate though

Anonymous said...

That Cobia is huge! Great job guys