Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8 The Cobias are Laughing at me!

This is getting old... Looking back over the last couple years, since the sightcasting craze, every season has periods of horrible results.. I don't like it. Today was going to be different. For starters, with wind and rain this morning, my intentions were to cast poppers to big Bluefish. Of course, yesterday's Chopper Bluefish were gone this morning... Now what, well the clouds blew away, the sun came out, and the wind dropped out. Chasing Hammerhead Sharks drew me east from the Rock Jetty and before I knew it, I was 2 miles south of Shark Island in the best sight casting conditions of the year, with very little pressure. Cobia, Red Drum, Black Drum, Shark, Bluefish.... Nothing had anywhere to hide. But, there was nothing there. Finally, I found an acre of 3 lb Bluefish and caught 20. Stuffed the livewell and filled a small cooler. With clouds building again and the wind picking up I started running the eastern shoal and guess what found me. 2 big Cobias out of the wild blue yonder and I saw them in plenty of time. They were headed right at me and they got bigger and bigger and bigger. I fired a bucktail and the big one accelerated right up behind the bucktail... and stopped, just followed... Nearing the boat, I let it sink. The Cobia, joined by her partner both did headstands on the bottom over the bucktail but refused to react to my twitching. Last year, the twitch under a headstanding Cobia was MONEY.... Meanwhile the whole time the wind was setting my boat over them... When they disappeared under the boat I cranked the bucktail up and miraculously they followed. Now right beside the boat and showing NO FEAR, I hurried down the ladder and fished a 3 lb Bluefish out of the livewell. Nose hooked and tossed at the now obviously 90 pound Cobia. The Cobia turned on a dime and charged the Bluefish. The MFing Bluefish juked left to right, just off the transom and hesitated for a second... The big Cobia lined him up and lunged... And, take a guess........ The freaking Bluefish jumped back into the damn boat. First time I've seen that.... The big Cobia blasted off upwind to join the other fish, a merely solid 60 pounder, on the edge of my vision. I scrambled back up the tower and searched for them. In shallow, gin clear water... But now the clouds came. Light. Dark. Light. Dark. Frantically I circled. I never found them. When this started it was sunny and 10kt west wind... When I gave up, it was raining and blowing 20kt North. I need not even go into the 60-70 pounder I found off Cape Point. Needless to say, she's still swimming too. 0 for 3 on the Cobia. 1 Giant fish and 2 Big Fish.... Today hurt the most.... Total Catch for the Day: 20 Bluefish

11 comments:

Jack said...

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but maybe it's a sign of things to come. I covered about 50 miles yesterday and the only fish I saw was on the end of a bottom fishers line inside the hook. The part where you said the bluefish jumped back in the boat made me litteraly laugh out loud.

Capt. Marty said...

I just thought it sucked with all that great sunshine, light wind, and clear water, they had just started to show up... and back came the clouds, the wind, and the rain... That and I've noticed a trend of the past couple years that Cobias are hesistant to attack a bucktail. I saw the same thing 5 years ago with amberjack.. The damn things are not suppose to have a lot of ability to reason. And I thought fish pretty much had a 5 minute memory......

Jack said...

I've found that when they wont hit a buck tail they will climb all over those hogey baits that Joe Shute sells. I don't throw them if I don't have to because of the blues, but when I can see a cobe and he won't eat the bucktail, out comes the hogey bait.

Rascal said...

Your honesty is refreshing AND entertaining...that jumping back into the boat comment made me also fall out of my chair laughing! Just wasn't your day...but you are the King of Persistence, so I'm sure things will change. Thanks for a great report, I spent 2 days out there with nothing too, and another friend also zeroed out.

Capt. Marty said...

I've been sightcasting Cobia for 10 years. There has always been % of non-biters... This year from Beaufort Inlet to Hatteras that % has been high. I honestly don't think they are getting smarter. I just believe they are here outside of their preferred temperature range and its affecting their appetite. Besides, simple logic dictates that a big brown fish lazily swimming on the surface is not actively hunting. It's amazing that any of them found in this manner are actually caught.

ehirunner said...

I think I would bite a hoagie bait too right about now. Time to swim out to open waters.

Jack said...

I think it turns into one of those "curiousity killed the cat" type things as to why they eat a bucktail tossed from a boat 10 feet in front of them. That or they are just simple, primal, opportunistic feeders. Not sure, but I do know I'm ready for things to heat back up.

Capt. Marty said...

I am serious taking my harpoon tommorrow. We used to harpoon Bluefins in 03 and 04 just to start the bleeding process really. Mine's been collecting dust. Yesterday I could have easily barbed the 90. What would happen next is a mystery. He can fight that poly ball all day long, but he will never escape it. Im doing it, my mind is made up!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this one...

Capt. Marty said...

Lt. Bob Becker will be handling the harpoon as soon as the bucktail fails. The Brown Fish faces a new and deadly challenge.

Anonymous said...

In faсt no matter іf someone doesn't know then its up to other visitors that they will help, so here it takes place.

Here is my weblog garden center jobs