Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 3 Black Drum Day of a Lifetime





Josh sailed with Tuggy and I in a Cobia voyage today, but I wasn't exactly feeling good about it for some reason... Might have been last nights craziness spilling over into today! Anyway, we ran East, then North and we found the fleet but the fishing was slow. Maybe we were too late? In our only flurry of action up North, Josh lost a huge Cobia jigging in a good bottom mark. A smoker, nearly spooled a Penn 650SS before the 80# braid buried in the spool and the line popped like a rifle shot! Meanwhile, Tuggy released a 50 lb Sandbar Shark and that was our first and only doubleheader. Fail. Then 3 Cobia swam up to us and I hooked up and passed the rod down to Tuggy. An hour later, we had a 40 lb Cobia that was foul-hooked. Little did we know then, but our "Cobia Fishing" was over. Hours later, we ran back towards the Lighthouse and Tuggy released a magic Albacore that changed the entire fate of our day. As bad fishing hung over us like a dark cloud.... the short Albacore pursuit had us pointed towards my home sweet home at Shark Island... I said, "Lets go see if we can find a school of them big foot soldiers, I hear there's been a few hanging around". Do what, Foot Soldiers Tuggy scowled? After a quick scan, there they were, for the first time in my 25 years of serious fishing.... 2000 Giant Black Drum in a tight ball, marching steadily North at two knots, just like Foot Soldiers on the Battlefield in WWI. It was a simple cast and ka-boom situation. First Josh, then Tuggy..... As Josh pulled the hooks on a 100 pounder beside the boat and Tuggy was waging battle with his 57 lb Drum,  I was blowing serious steam because I couldn't get hooked up.... My steam was turning to rage, and I attacked Josh seriously jeopardizing my life over a stingsilver. (The safety of the Tower!) Finally I hooked up.... Finally, when we all had our Citation Drum on deck we started releasing fish. I got another Monster Drum, then Tuggy again, then Josh, then Josh again. The Citation Train was rolling. My first was the biggest Black Drum we weighed at 67 lbs. We also had a 57 and 62 pound Black Drum. We each released at least one Citation Black Drum. We probably released a couple of Drum larger than we killed, because my 60# Boga-Grip was bottomed out a couple of times. My NC Citation Quest took a giant leap forward with today's captures.. It was incredible Black Drum fishing and the Cobia fishing was a huge letdown. Total Catch for the Day: 7 Black Drum up to 67 lbs, 1 Cobia at 40 lbs, 1 Sandbar Shark at 50 lbs, and 1 Albacore 

7 comments:

Mike said...

Nice drum.

Capt. Marty said...

You held the Black Drum lead for 40 years with the one from the Morehead Ocean Pier back in 1971. Now I got you. Complete fishing domination. Of course, you aint been fishing but once since 1971.....and Fester threw your Albacore back... I swear to you, he did the right thing. Its okay to come back out on the Ocean.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you confirmed one thing yesterday...As I have fished with allot of guides and worked with some from Oregon Inlet down to Morehead City, and the one thing that is common in all is the temper that occurs when you don't get the first hook up!!!!

Tugwell

Capt. Marty said...

Sorry you feel that way Tuggy. First and most importantly I cease to be a guide when friends step aboard for gas money. What the rest of the world pays $600 for is something totally different. If gou or anyone doesnt understand the difference, then I cant help you. So nothing else that is to be argued even matters. Move along or get deleted.

ehirunner said...

And one more thing--if you pulled the hooks on a 100#er out of a school of 2k, you oughta get back out there. 36 year old world all-tackle record for black drum is 113lbs. 100.1 is the NC record. I'm just sayin' is all.

Capt. Marty said...

Those things were headed for Delaware Bay and plodded off at 2 kt and disappeared in the deep. Believe me we looked for them today.... They are gone, maybe a few more will show up!

Capt. Marty said...

I said I was sorry... Josh aint mad!! Its okay.. We straight on what constitutes a Stingsilver, from now on its "good metal" vs "bad metal"..