Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18 A Leatherback Turtle.... The Slump Buster

I needed to stay home and work. Especially since all the work is mine now and with the next 4 days looking busy...... But I couldn't do it! Not with a 14 lb Bluefish released yesterday! I figured this might be my chance to knock off a Bluefish citation. So this afternoon, I headed off to Cape Lookout on a solo mission.... And guess what appeared in the Bight? A Leatherback Turtle... Basically public transportation for Cobias. And this one had enough Brown underneath it to keep several boats busy. So I flung my bucktail and instantly hooked up. Ten minutes later, I had a bloody mess and a nice fish. I rode around the corner just to see if a miracle could happen but the turtle and his entourage was nowhere in sight. I motored back into the Bight and looked for yesterday's Bluefish, but they were nowhere to be found. In 2 hours, I was back on the trailer and I was cutting a 55 lb Cobia. Amazing, all the hours and miles spent searching and today, when it didn't matter, there he was... begging to get caught. Crazy. Hope tommorrow is half as good. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Cobia at 55 lbs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the 44 lb cobia I caught last year, originally I was going drum fishing in Slocum Creek but a tree that had fell down across the water way turned me around and sent me back to the ramp. I then decided to go drum fish in Beaufort, but got a phone call from a friend that said he was the only boat inside the hook. I quickly decided to change directions and head that way. I looked for bait all the way to the cape and all around inside the hook and couldn't find any. I decided to heck with it and made a blind cast towards a point and bam fish on. Boxed a 44 lb cobia. Prior to that I'd been 5-6 times in 2 weeks and only had 1 throw back to show for it. Guess sometimes it's nice to have luck on your side.

Capt. Marty said...

Sometimes we look the right way, some times we don't. For all the years of experience, hours of time, etc etc... there is still some degree of luck involved in getting a fish to eat something with a string attached.