Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14 Failure of Gigantic Porportions

Today we had a Grand Slam. It was a rare one too. An overslept Captain (first). A screaming TLD 25/custom rod dropped overboard with a fish on. And 2 Cobias pulled off bucktails after solid hook-ups. Can I buy flags for those? My apologies to Joey but our early start didn't materialize and I'm not sure it would've helped. I didn't see anything this morning than was "must see fishing". I am sorry he had to come to my house and beat on my door though. Ouch. We found the fish by mid-morning and could've, should've  made our day, but 2 Cobias pulled the hooks and one strike that never got hooked. So we had our chances at 3 Cobia on a day when a few had 2, several had one, and most had ZERO. My biggest regret is, one of our fish had all the characteristics of a big fish. Nearly spooled us twice and made three major direction changes and ended up in the same baitball where it started 10 minutes earlier. Then finally when we where out of trouble and headed away from the fleet with 75% of the string on the spool..... The hook popped out... or something... By then, that one little baitball was covered with boats, 2-3 were hooked up, and that was over. And so were we. We should've been looking for our third Cobia, not our first, and 7 hours later, that's how it ended. Total Catch for the Day: 3 At Sharpnose Sharks

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the luck, I just hope these fish stick around cause it's gonna be a week or so before I can get out there

Capt. Marty said...

All I can say is that in the past 2 years, saturdays have become a circus around the baitballs and for sightcasting in general.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I like the 'blew it' stories better than the 'filled the box' ones.

Maybe Saturdays is when you should bring the harpoon out with you, or stay on shore to focus on mungholes.

Capt. Marty said...

Tommorrow is monday. Its gonna blow and be rough as a cob..... Im going out on a limb and guess that the fishing will be great!