Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 17-24 Hatteras Fishing Tally



The first night (7-17) was a good one for Frank and I. I caught 5 Flounders and Frank netted up 50 lbs of Jumping Mullets. The oddity of the night was my juvenile Conger Eel. Once again, bait was hard to catch. Last night's best option proved to be a big Silversides and they aren't quite big enough for the cast net. I could throw on 100 Silversides and only 1 or 2 would get entangled. Lack of quality bait made my Flounder fishing extremely difficult.  Interestingly, 2 of tonights Flounders were actually Summer Flounders, my first 2 of the year... Well, I've got the grill lit and a couple of Mullet fillets are getting ready to get cooked.....

The second night (7-18) the fishing was slower. Bait wasn't a problem. I caught 25 Silversides in one throw! I also captured a few Squid and a Mantis Shrimp. Neat little monster. I also saw a swimming Nudibranch, which is always cool.... With the rid and reel, I caught 2 Southern Flounders and 2 big Oyster Toadfish.

On Thursday Night (7-19) I didn't really fish as I had a VIP visitor from Carteret County. I did make one cast with a live Bluefish and left the rod unattended. Ten minutes later, I caught my rod racing down the side of the Ferry. When I reached it, The line was pinned under the boat and line was rapidly coming off the spool. I lifted the rod and tightened the drag. The fish never slowed. I watched 200 yards of 30# test evaporate off the spool. Had to be a Giant Stingray. At the end of the game, I locked down the drag and broke the line.... This battle would've been fun, but the "fight" occurred under the Ferry. Suckfest!

No fishing on Friday Night (7-20) but I did snag a 5lb 8oz Jumping Mullet on a string of treble hooks. Great fight. Great Fish. No time to brag.....


So far on Saturday (7-21) Jennifer and I went for a romantic walk on the Beach which I pretty much destroyed the moment by pulling a Sand Flea Trap and a Spinning Rod out of my magical cap.... To make matters worse the now mythical Sea Mullets & Pompano that abound in the Hatteras Surf once again pitched a Shut Out against the Capt Marty All-Stars.....


Sunday night (7-22) was stormy and rainy and the fishing crew got some much needed rest. I drowned a Sea Urchin and had no bites at 420am.... 


Total Catch for the Week: 5 Southern Flounder up to 16", 2 Summer Flounders up to 16", 5lb 8oz Jumping Mullet, 3 Black Sea Bass, 2 Oyster toadfish up to 3 lbs and 1 Conger Eel

7 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

I want everyone to know: GRILLED JUMPING MULLET with BONE SUCKING SAUCE is a wonderfully delicious summertime eating experience.... Thanks to my boy Frank Folb Jr of Frank & Fran's Tackle Shop (Avon, NC) Fame. Visit this store while on the Outer Banks and buy something!!!!!

Mike said...

Bone Sucking sauce is the best!

Anonymous said...

How you tell diff betwen southern and summers? Caught fish inside and out and all look same to me.
Help PLEEZ

Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

I'll see if I can get a clear Photo Showing the difference. I will explain in words a little later okay.... A pic is worth a 1000 words.... Especially to me (I can't type)

Capt. Marty said...

Okay. The difference between a Summer and Southern Flounder...

A ringed spot in the fish descriptions is called an ocelli. It is a spot with a ring around it. Id imagine it has evolved to mimick an eyeball in some fish. An Oscar is a popular aquarium fish and Oscar's have an ocelli just before his tail. In the Oscar's case, a predator would mistake which end of the fish was the head and which is the tail. An attack on an Oscar would result in maybe a 50% chance that the predatory fish would attack the tail thinking its the head, and thus the Oscar could use misdirection to escape... How does this help our Flounder discussion? I have NO IDEA, but for some reason Summer Flounder have Ocelli or "ringed Spots" and Southern Flounder do not.... The real dilemma is how to tell a Summer Flounder from a Gulf Flounder, since both have ocelli... The key here is NO MATTER HOW MANY Ocelli a Summer Flounder has, it will always have 5 in a certain pattern. Two opposite each other near the tail, one dead center a mid-body (forming a triangle) then two more opposite each other moving forward from each of the tail spots along the outer margin of the fishes body... Meanwhile the Gulf Flounder also has a distinct pattern of ocelli. One at the base of the tail and two more one the outer margin across from each other that also foros a triangle, but the Gulf Flounder's triangle is exactly opposite of the Summer Flounders! I hope this helps. Of course, you could just google Summer, Southern, and Gulf Flounder and see the difference!

Capt. Marty said...

Hello new Girlfriend if you read this:

I LOVE YOU and MISS YOU

See you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Anonymous said...

Capt. Marty,
You are so smart! And so sweet! I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!