Thursday, July 26, 2012

July 25 Ladyfish BLITZ

This report can't be lumped under "The Dock Tally". This was One Great Fishing Session.... So after 11pm, I went down to check on my boat and heard the familiar splashing out in the inky blackness of night. They were close and they were "getting off"!!!!  There was definitely a nice run of Shrimp last night and the Ladyfish were there to take full advantage. Every few minutes a shrimp in close to the dock lights would come jumping in where I could see them and the Ladyfish were hot on it. Glowing with phosphorous, they looked like glowing hot missiles flashing below the jumping Shrimp and it always ended in a violent explosion that was not "shrimp friendly"....... So I tied on a popping plug and the first cast was flung at 12 midnight on the dot. Exactly 90 minutes later and 4 nice popping plugs later, I was done. Here is what I estimated: Probably around 70 casts, close to 50 water busting, scintillating surface strikes on the plugs. Approximately 80 spine tingling leaps and hurls into the black sky. Lots of screaming drags and turbo charged runs. Mind boggling changes of directions and direction changing somersalts. When I said "damn I WAS TIRED and I did NEED TO GO TO BED", when it was over, I had 4 dead Ladyfish that were hooked too deeply to revive. I released 6 healthy ones. I had 2 break off on violent, gill rattling leaps. Ladyfish have highly abrasive and razor sharp gill plates and are hell on light tackle. Only the 30# leader held up to the violence of the popping plug induced head shaking gravity defying leaps of freedom. Plugs tied straight to the 10# mono had NO CHANCE. These Ladyfish weighed 2-4+ pounds each. I did lose one that smoked 75 yards of line down current and broke off in the neighboring dock pilings. I have never had one take me a staight away drag strip like run like that one did. Was it a Ladyfish? I dont know, if so it was a big one. I guess you guys sense my enthusiasm for this short fishery! Two years ago, I remember a similar post....Total Catch for the Night: 10 Ladyfish up to 3 lb 8 oz    Pictures of Dead Ladyfish tomorrow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This report is worthless without pictures.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great night of action