Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 25- Spanish Blitz

This morning I went out searching for Cobia in the productive waters of Raleigh Bay off Hatteras Island. Meanwhile, while I scoured the Graveyard of the Atlantic, 60 miles to the south, Capt Tuggwell set sail on the Top Water Boat...... Yeap, Capt Tuggy and I were double dipping today! As far as my day went, Keith and I spent 4 hours on his 21 foot Carolina Skiff searching for his first Cobia. We were unsuccessful.... We did get into a nice school of Spanish Mackerel off the Frisco Beach. It was every cast on metal lures. We got an ice bag full of Mackerel. I just cleaned 18 of them. Thanks to our Oiler, Gary Cooper Jr, we are having a fish fry tonight on the Ferry Boat! Other than the Mackerel, we also caught Bluefish, Menhaden, and a Blacktip Shark. Our most exciting moment happened in the skinny, dirty water right on Diamond Shoals when an adult Leatherback Turtle surfaced right ahead of our boat. A perfect Cobia Sight Casting opportunity! I can not imagine a better scenario! Unbelievably, the water  was too dirty and the sky was too cloudy to see if any Cobia were with the Turtle? They had to be there! Regardless, I cast my bucktail. Perfect Cast! I instantly got a hit and my rod bowed! Hell Yeah. Unfortunately, the drag never slipped and the rod tip soon telegraphed the "all too familiar" throb throb throb that tipped off my opponents identity. A 2 lb Bluefish. Damn. We spent the next 20 minutes searching for that Turtle. It was unsuccessful..... Soon afterwards we ran back to Hatteras Inlet. Along the way, we found 2 baitballs. The Right One's Baby. Menhaden. Unfortunately (again) no COBIA. I snagged a few Pogies and I hooked up 2 small Blacktip Sharks. These guys are always welcome on my line. I love them. I released one Shark and the other one escaped. That was it. We ran for home. After cutting out 36 Mackerel fillets, I'm now laying in my bunk. Waiting for Tuggwell's report. Hopefully a Cobia. Hopefully a NC Citation. Hopefully a 100 lb Shark release. Hopefully 4 happy anglers. Happy Memorial Day everyone, whenever it is! Total Catch for the Day: 22 Spanish Mackerel up to 24oz, 4 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, 3 Atlantic Menhaden, and a 7 lb Blacktip Shark



No comments: