Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Tribute to C-Bo


And No, Chris didn't die. It's not that kind of Tribute

Actually I'm toasting my boy Chris Chad from "The Island"....... Chris cut his "fishing teeth" the hard way. With me. He didn't even like it really. But over 10 years of riding and catching and soaking in some knowledge, nowadays ole C-Bo is doing it without me and he's doing great! Chris has worked hard and he has been a great success story. Recently married to a great girl, bought a house, bought a boat and he is off and running and fishing on his own. In the past 6 months, he has caught NC Citation King Mackerel, Red Drum, Black Drum, and Cobia. Then came yesterday...... I know those boys looked up my "fishing prowess" for a long time. The proof is on my "Wall of Fame". We spent many an hour staring at my "Citation Wall" with 33 different species represented. I always told Chris 2 things. Every Citation has its story and lots of them were amazing strokes of fate, or luck, or whatever. I also told Chris I had SO MANY damn NC Citations because I fished SO DAMN MANY days a year...... You run into things simply by being out there....... Well, C-bo learned his lessons well. A hunter at heart, C-bo is just learning to love certain fisheries. Cobia Fishing is up there for him. Yesterday, he got me. We both made the decision to go across the Shoals to the eastside.... Running side by side, we approached the first Shoal. Chris offshore, me inshore. Right as we approached the breakers and our slow down point, C-bo pulled up and rolled his boat offshore. Right beside him and in the Tower, I thought to myself, "classic mistake Chrissy Everette". I was seeing Sharks all along the breakers and I figured that C-bo was pulling upo to cast to a Shark. I snickered.......... 20 minutes later, C-bo still wasn't on the eastside. As I figured out that I had wasted my time by going over there, and I plowed back across the Shoals..... Back on the westside, I spied C-bo sitting dead in the water about a 1/4 mile away from the Shoals.... As I approached him (and Ryan) the I could sense from their posture and facial expressions that something big had happened. I also could see a tiny tip of a huge brown tail poking its way out of their cooler. Knowing that the Living Ghost of Capt Marty Moore had been exorcised from C-Bo's Fishing Psyche, I asked "How Big"....... (Obviously big enough you Bastard) C-Bo's expression read...... He carefully thought about it and said 70 pounds...... Like when the Devil Went Down to Georgia, I knew I had been beat..... My only offensive thought left quickly passed through my dark and spiteful mind. "Yeah right" I mumbled. C-Bo wouldn't know a 70 lb Cobia if it was checking his prostrate, I laughed to my self. No matter though, it was big fish and I more than likely wasn't going to top it. 35 years of fishing, a 25 foot Tower Boat, and vast knowledge of Cobia behavior, migration dynamics, understanding of tides, sun, water temperature, the physical layout of the Shoals, the 30 year bank of experience that I possesed, it had all been defeated..... I was "hanging my hat" on C-Bo learning his lesson and all I had left was him misjudging the weight! Pathetic.....

Wouldn't you figure that 17 hours later when Chris finally weighed it, it weighed 67 lbs. I promise you that C-Bo's Killer Cobia weight every bit of (and probably EXACTLY) 70 lbs at live weight..... I made this entire story up as a joke, but the truth is sewn thgrough these words in a dozen different places. C-Bo has came of age and he is a superior fisherman that is now capable of catching anythging that swims. I have complete confidence if he finds a NEW NC STATE RECORD COBIA tomorrow, that he would catch that Cobia. No doubt. Congrats C-Bo on a great fish on a tough day. You are the Man!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the Tuggwell Tribute! Its gonna be a doozy

Capt. Marty said...

The short version....... Tuggwell is The World's Greatest Cobia Spotter.

Anonymous said...

Chrissy Everette? Now that's funny. Jim Rome joke

Anonymous said...

When Chris can moon me WHILE cranking on a COBIA and drinking a red bull then he is at my level.....NICE FISH BROTHER!

Tugwell!

Mike said...

Lovefest on Top Water Charters?

Mike said...

What about the Rouzers tribute?

Anonymous said...

Cee Booooo in da house