Saturday, May 3, 2014

May 3- Incredible Giant Black Drum School





FINALLY A DECENT WEATHER DAY that I was OFF and availiable to fish. And I nearly didn't go. I am so used to NOT GOING...... But Capt Columbus called and told me about a "Black Drum Event" that was taking place on the East Side...... In my 30+ years of fishing, I've seen ONE giant school of adult Black Drum....... So, with a tip that there was a School of Giants about 15 miles away, I grabbed Jeremy and hauled ass.... When we got to the spot, our information was 3 hours old..... Seemed like a big task to find them.... Then, SHAZAM. there they were. Shining like a pot of gold coins in the green Ocean. We approached them and found app 800 adult Black Drum swimming steadily towards Chesapeake Bay. After a few struggles with break offs, we got it figured out and started to land them. We put our limit in the boat. I got a 38 lb Black Drum for the grill and Jeremy got a 55 lb Black Drum for a NC Citation. I released 5 others from 35 to 50 lbs each and Jeremy released a 36 lb Black Drum. The Boga Grip got a work out today and Emma got to lick 7 different Black Drum. She liked the 55 lb Drum the best. That one is headed to Fishtowne Market in Beaufort and will be smoked....... Best Black Drum day ever? Not sure, certainly it was #1 or #2..... Either way, I'm off the snide..... Now, bring on the Bonito or the Cobia. Total Catch for the Day: 7 Black Drum from 35 to 55 lbs each

5 comments:

Jordan said...

Nice work Capt Marty. I plan to be down there for two weeks in May gonna have to try Mr. Bonito and the brown suit man out.

Mike said...

30 plus years of fishing?

Ryan said...

Hell yea. Would love to see them flourish like their regulated red cousins.

Capt. Marty said...

Mike

30+ years of fishing?

Are you saying I forgot how old I am?

49-30years of fishing= 19 years

I realize I was fishing HARDCORE since I was 5, but what I meant was.....

Since I stepped up to Fishing in Boats anywhere I wanted, anytime I wanted, for as long as I wanted....

I guess I really should have said 44 years of fishing

Capt. Marty said...

Ryan

I hope that you pull up on a school of Blacks like this one day on your kayak. Unfortunately, the odds are low. I think all these Blacks are headed to Chesapeake or Delaware Bays.... The fact that I've only encountered these schools twice in my life (2011 and 2014) in all these years of fishing tells me how lucky we were yesterday.

That being said, I hope you find a school down there off Wrightsville one day.

Marty