Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30- Making It Count



Considering....... The tide was perfect. We had freshly caught perfect bait. It was nice and overcast and cool. I anchored up right where I wanted to....... I would've thought that Tom and I would've had a great day of bait fishing for Cobia! Well, it was SSLLOOWW....... Out of the 15 other boats at Cape Lookout, I saw 1 undersized Cobia caught. I saw very few "cool" Sharks caught. I saw very few Stingrays caught. All things considered, I'd say we did pretty damn good on a slow morning...... (Now before a bunch of Anonymous Internet Fish Killing Mystery Men attack me and say "Oh shit man, You suck because I sight casted 24 Cobia, 6 over 50, and 2 in the 90's to the Western)  Well, great. We went BAIT FISHING at CAPE LOOKOUT and it was SLOW in the immediate vicinity of where I was FISHING..... We did have a Junior Cobia Cub rise up on a Stingray and after tooling with live and dead Shad, he ate a bucktail. As I released him, I reminisced about all the little one's we eat at Hatteras that fall prey to the Summertime Drift Gillnet Fishery. What a shame, but damn good eating..... Anyway, after a Shark and a Spiny Butterfly Ray. I set the hook on a mystery bite. I quickly pass the rod to Tom. It's didn't do the traditional "Cobia Things" but after 15 times back and forth deep behind my Suzuki, he rose up off the Port Stern headed for open Ocean. It took me a minute to comprehend the conflict of Shape and Color. Suddenly I figured it out! It was a Monster Cobia AND it was a Calico Cobia. Unfortunately, after death his wonderful "Calico-ness" faded to brown........ This guy fought the good fight for 20 minutes and never had over 100 feet of string out. I finally got a gaff in his head and Tom dropped the rod in a holder and sunk gaff #2 in his rear flank. One mighty heave and "OUR ONE GOOD BITE" turned into Tom's first big Cobia, Tom's second Cobia of the Day, Tom's first Calico Cobia, Tom's first NC Citation, and Tom's NEXT GREAT MEAL...... After that, the next 2 hours were uneventful. Our rallying cry was "You Gotta Know When To Quit"....Hell he could've been halfway to South Carolina if we knew when to quit...... I summarize today's Cape Lookout Incoming and High Tide Report. Fishing sucked. One Boat got One Good Bite. That was us today. (and YES I do realize that I don't know everything and I couldn't see everything) As far as I know, there was 2 small Cobia released and one 73 lb Calico Cobia killed on the morning's incoming tide....... Total Catch for the Day: 2 Cobia up to 73 lbs, 3 Spiny Butterfly Rays up to 60 lbs, 1 Southern Eagle Ray at 70 lbs and 1 Atlantic Sharpnose Shark at 6 lbs

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was next to you out there, and you're right, it was sloooooooww. 2 small sharks, 1 small ray, 2 large butterfly rays and a bluefish for me. As always, you are the cobia master.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, you messed up. Bait balls west of the Inlet. We caught 24 Cobia on bucktails . We had 4 over 80 lbs and 18 over 60. Where were you, you are a f***ing Loser of a Captain. All the Guides were down there saying Ha Ha where's that dumbass Marty. Top Water my ass.

Tom C. said...

Yeah, Anonymous, you are the man...where are all your pics of ALL these cobia that YOU caught???? That's what I thought you ASS#%&$ .....

Hey thanks again Marty...you da man in my book always..see you in a few weeks bro !!!!

Mike said...

Anonymous must be great.

Capt. Marty said...

Well, it was my birthday. Thanks Momma, I love you.

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capt. Marty said...

Imbecile...... Go get your BLOG you A**WIPE.... Here you go

www.cantcatchagoldfishinashotglass.blogspot.com

Tom C. said...

Hey Capt....forgot to ask you. How do I apply for a citation for that cobia??
FYI..the pic you posted for your wish list is a sauger, not a walleye...better fix that, you don't want to piss off the walleye "gods" before we go up after them next month!!!

live football said...

it is informative post for human.This post publish new important news.This post article is important and helpful.Thanks a lot for share your great post.

Anonymous said...

Come jump in the water if ya wanna play. I will drown you and feed your manhood the the bluefish like little piranhas. Its obvious they ain't big enough for shark bait if you have to come hide on a blog and attack someone. Your just as all the others. You've caught 5 cobia your whole life, 4 of which were by mistakes and totally mishaps. Its ok, I was once there too.....when I was 12.

Take care and lets keep killin capt.

Twell