Saturday, February 2, 2013

Feb 2 Nobody Wanted To Go Fishing






Here it is a Beautiful Day and my lovely Jennifer is away in Winston Salem..... So, what a great day to go "guilt free fishing".... Unfortunately, it was unseasonably cold this morning. On a positive note, there was very light winds and calm, clear seas.... More importantly, I KNOW WHERE THE FISH ARE..... But this morning I made a few phone calls and couldn't find anybody to go fishing with me..... A few years ago, I would've said "To hell with it" and gone by myself! Nowadays, I get a sore back just thinking about it.... Wrestling this boat and tower all by myself is getting increasingly difficult.... Plus, I'm paranoid about my old 250 Suzuki dying on me! Getting stranded is bad enough with friends or clients onboard... Getting stranded alone will test my mental stability! (Sea Tow is a call away but.....) Anyway. You get the point. If I could've found a fishing companion this morning, I'd be cleaning a 7 lb Red Drum and a pile of Bluefish right now. Plus, who knows what else..... Instead, my boat stayed on the trailer this morning, but I was determined to go fishing, so I headed out with my ultralight and did the Beaufort Mung Hole tour instead..... A little late I might be eating a McDonald's Filet-o-Fish instead of a freshly fried Bluefish, but I probably saved myself $75-100.....  As for my actual fishing: After a quick Largemouth Bass on my trusty bettlespin, it quickly became apparent that last nights cold temperature had really slowed down my little fishys metabolism and activity level... Temps in the mid-20s, coupled with the shallow water of these Ponds more than likely puts these fish nearly in frosty form of suspended animation! Anyhow, I stayed with it. Downsizing, Downsizing and Downsizing my lures. Making my presentation slower and slower. I finally it upon a combination that worked. Slightly. A couple more Bass and a little flurry of Bluegills. After a couple of Bluegills, I was intent on catching a Pumpkinseed to complete another fabled "Beaufort Mung Hole Grand Slam" but so far, No Luck on the Slam. Well today aint over yet and I might just try "one more time".... I got a new spot to try and all I have to do is slip past a NO TRESPASSING SIGN. Surely a Fishing Garden of Eden lies just beyond the sign....  I also know a spot over by Wal-Mart in MHC that has quite a few Green Sunfish. I used to love catching Greenys back in the mid 80s when I was at ECU..... What I really wish was that I had a place where I could consistently catch Chain Pickerel. God I love those fish.... Anyone out there know where I can go in Carteret County to catch Pickerel? I swear I'd take you to The Cape Lookout Shoals in a heartbeat for some inside info on Chain PickerelTotal Catch for the Day: 9 Bluegill and 3 Largemouth Bass

3 comments:

James W Lung said...

I believe somebody told me about catching "jacks" which I think were chain pickerel in the Newport River. It may have been a Bob Simpson article, or it might have been Waldron (now deceased) or Buddy Baily (alive and kicking) in Morehead. You might want to call Buddy.

Really enjoyed the article about the Bluegill.

Hope the back is OK. And congrats on your betrothal.

Jim Lung, Greensboro

James W Lung said...

I believe somebody told me about catching "jacks" which I think were chain pickerel in the Newport River. It may have been a Bob Simpson article, or it might have been Waldron (now deceased) or Buddy Baily (alive and kicking) in Morehead. You might want to call Buddy.

Really enjoyed the article about the Bluegill.

Hope the back is OK. And congrats on your betrothal.

Jim Lung, Greensboro

Tom Chesebro said...

Capt. Marty
You shoulda called me, I would have shot right up there for the day!!!
Call me when the fishing 'urge" strikes again..I'll go !!!
Take care.
Tom