Thursday, February 21, 2013

Feb 21 First Hickory Shad of the Year


Today I'm in New Bern for a dermatology appointment. So I turned this into a fishing excursion as well.... As everyone knows, that's how I roll. So I headed down to Cowpen Landing to see what was happening. The report was poor. The "golf cart crew" said they had seen ONE SHAD caught all year. Yikes. Anyway, with an hour to burn, I tied on a grub and a spoon... Then on my 7th cast I felt that familiar tap. My line started racing right to left. After a short give and take, I slid a fat Hickory Shad up the boat ramp. It was a good feeling, but was it a fluke? Two casts later... Boom, another one. For 10 minutes it was a flurry. They were biting the white grub and I caught 7 Hickory Shad before they quit.... Not a lot of time to waste, so I left for my appointment. Maybe I'll go back when I get out... Okay, so I went fishing after my appointment as well..... First I went to Spring Garden and then I went back to Cowpen Landing. I caught more 2 Hickory Shad in each spot. I also fished cut Shad on the bottom with NO RESULTS.... I'm pretty happy with the fishing today. I got 5 fat Roe Shad and released 6 athletic Bucks. The male fish were airing it out and doing backflips. Cool to see that kind of energy in any creature in February......  Total Catch for the Day: 11 Hickory Shad up to 12"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No downside - they also accept ԁish washing, oсean entrance
houѕеs, and tаble dancing (according to the menu, whiсh is ωholе οf witty tіԁbits.
This Florida camρing place is most suitablе for a rеlativeѕ οn a spendіng budget conѕiԁering
it іs fаirly prіceԁ for the
Orlando area and stіll it is close to all the biggest ρoints of intereѕt
liκe Dіsney. Carry on 11 miles, and view rigoгously
foг thе indiсator to Laupahοehoe Stagе Beach front Park on thе peгfect.


Feel frеe to surf to my homepаge :: old stone oven pizza stone rectangular

Mike said...

No downside? Sounds Great!

Chris said...

I viewed Capt. Marty's shad pictures rigorously. I still don't think I want to Lap-up-a-hoe on stage.

Naas feesh.

Capt. Marty said...

No downside? Sign me up

Capt. Marty said...

Wonder if my keyboard makes those sexy w's?

Mike said...

I'm just gonna carry on for eleven miles.

Capt. Marty said...

Laupahoehoe sounds like Hawaii not Florida

Brody said...

Yacht Rental Dubai its also an amazing thing in duba