Saturday, February 2, 2013

Little Sid the Bluegill





A year ago next month I hurt my back. Herniated and Blown Discs. I was in pain. I was out of work. Fishing was a No No. I opted for Steroid Injections over Surgery. My Life was Horrible. I was Depressed....

On a whim I bought a 38 gallon Aquarium. I got 4 White Perch from the South River area. They were pretty but they weren't cool in the Aquarium. They are migratory. They need to roam. Plus they were too big from the get go... Before I released them, I would go around and dip up enough Misquitofish from the Mung Hole to feed them. On April 8, 2013, on one of my bait catching expeditions, I brought along my 3 wt fly rod and a popping bug. I caught a very small Bluegill. I dropped him in the bucket with my Misquitofish....  Back at my house, I poured the minnows and the Bluegill into my aquarium with the 4 White Perch. The 4 Perch ate the minnows while the Bluegill sat there and held his ground... A short time later, the Bluegill was named Little Sid after a character from the Outer Banks....  After a few weeks, the White Perch were released and since then Little Sid has lived with 2 Oscars, 2 Pumpkinseed, 2 Algae Eaters, and a couple of other Bluegills.... One Algae Eater and the 2 Pumpkinseeds have been released... Everything else has been beat down and/or eaten... The last Pumpkinseed that I released was necessary because Little Sid woke up one morning and decided Mr Seed "had to die". That morning they splashed 4 gallons of water out of the tank and Mr Seed was stripped of fins and scales. Whenever Little Sid turns colors and digs nest and watch out.... I have a tiny Bluegill now called George Clooney that was orinally no bigger than the minnows meant to feed Little Sid. On day one, the tiny Bluegill evaded Little Sid, survived the first night, and found a cave to hide in! That's where he's lived for the past 2 months. Now, unfortunately, he has nearly "outgrown his hiding spot". When that day comes and he can no longer fit in the crevasse, Little Sid will dismantle him.... Little Sid has grown into a NC Citation Bluegill. He is incredible. In the cold of winter I cannot catch enough minnows to meet his appetite. So I make the trek to Pet's Mart quite often and buy him 20 Rosy Reds at a time.... All is good until the lights go out. Then Little Sid rises up into the water column. The chase is slow at first. Then it builds momentum... In minutes, Little Sid cuts their numbers in half. Pretty Impressive. As he fills his gut his pace slows. By morning, there will be 4-5 Rosy Reds left. They get to enjoy the next 12-14 hours. Then, when the lights go out, its over for them.... Hopefully this Spring I can find Little Sid a new home. The NC Aquarium or the Aquarium at the Neuse Sport Shop would be great. Unfortunately, Im sure they have disease worries with "new" fish. If I can't find him a "glass home" I will release Little Sid back into the Mung Hole. Little Sid was my companion and friend at the lowest time of my life. I love Little Sid. Or I could get my Bluegill Citation and make a fish sandwich out of him..... I'm joking!

***By the way, the top pic is from May 6, 2012. All the others from Feb 2, 2013***

6 comments:

Mike said...

Lil Sid is a stud.

Capt. Marty said...

Little Sid gets active when the Ravens have the ball.... Settles down when the 49ers have it. What's it mean? I think lil Sid is picking the Ravens

Capt. Marty said...

Little Sid said, "what do I know about football. Get me 20 Rosy Reds, I'm hungry"...... Ravens 31 49ers 29

Capt. Marty said...

Little Sid says the Super Bowl will come down to the last play.... Just like me and Tuggy's fishing.... Right down to the last drop.

Capt. Marty said...

Good Morning, Little Sid was right. Twice. If I would've just listened and plunked down $2Grand on the Ravens, we'd be eating Rosy Reds today!

Anonymous said...

On our calendar, I recorded could get a wagerer deal Elsewhere so that she can cut the queue.

It says "A female parent's center to contribution the intelligence with all your friends. How to video display regular price as "home weeks" - when firms send workers domicile by 7pm at the latest - are legally implemented. Airlines Grade their empty seats on an approaching flying been hit by financial crisis. indisputable you may check the to us Exploitation this Survey imp page.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: Payless coupons