Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Feb 6 White Perch Massacre





Brandon and I crushed the White Perch in a local Pond today. These fish, if you haven't heard, are THE BEST EATING FRESHWATER FISH in the SE United States.... In the bigger picture, maybe Walleye from the North & Midwest might be better...... Therefore, we kept around 40 of our Perch. Released around 70. Of the keepers, 11 were at or over the 12" mark making them large enough for a NC Freshwater Citation. I also caught and released a 38" Longnose Gar.  We also fished a nearby creek that tied into the Neuse River. This place was alive with Puppy Drum. Between the two of us, we caught and released 7 Red Drum.......  Back to the White Perch, we caught equal numbers of them on cut shrimp and artificial lures. Roostertails and Beetlespins. I also broke out the 3wt fly rod and caught 15 White Perch on the fly.... They were a little hard to find for the first hour, but when we found them, we found an endless supply of them. When I was catching them on the fly rod, I never took a single step in any direction. All those big White Perch were sitting 20 feet in front of me in 3 feet of water. Outstanding Fishing! Total Catch for the Day: 110 White Perch up to 13", 7 Red Drum from 14" to 17", and a 38" Longnose Gar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Looks like a fun day in middle of winter. Y'all are lucky

Anonymous said...

Good eating right there. Just ask Josenhans FF Blog

Capt. Marty said...

Why would I ask (the Josenhans FF Blog) who? I know all about the tasty White Perch. Nice blog though. Good photography.