Thursday, February 7, 2013

Feb 7 and 8 Beaufort City Limit Bluegills and Green Chubs


A little while ago I watched my pet fish, a Bluegill named Little Sid, inhale 6 Crickets. It's one of the greatest sounds in fishing. Maybe even Nature as a whole.... A large insect struggles on the surface. A fish silently rises beneath it. With one quick motion (in the case of a Bluegill) the fish accelerates quickly over the final distance, then pretty quickly slams on the breaks. This sends a surge of water that very briefly lifts the hapless insect. In a fraction of a second, the hungry fish opens its mouth, flairs its gills, and creates a vacuum that draws the insect into its mouth and this results in a loud pop on the surface of the water.... Mountain Trout do it with a slurp. Big Bream do it with a pop. Striped Bass sound like cinder blocks raining. Tarpon I'd say are raining cinder blocks as well.... Everybody, fisherman or not, needs to go to Robbies in Islamorada Florida to feed the Tarpon.... Or just watch... Dreaming of the Florida Keys.... Anyway, watching Little Sid eat crickets made me yearn for fishing... Then I fried up a few White Perch fillets from yesterday. Delicious. So, I said "What the Heck, Go Fishing".. So I went to the Mung Hole and in a steady rain, I caught 8 Bluegills. The sizes ranged from tiny to small... It got me thinking of taking on a personal challenge.... How many days in a row can I catch a fish? I have 6 or 7 ponds less than a mile from my house that are loaded with stunted and starving Bluegills.... So it's simply a matter of doing it. Okay, so lets do it! 8 Bluegills on Thursday makes it 2 in a row....   Okay, so its Friday and after last nights torrential downpour I thought pond fishing might be difficult. I also thought after last nights torrential downpour that pond fishing might be really good. In other words, I didn't have a clue. I knew the Top Water Boat and the Ocean and/or Sound was off limits.... So I knew to keep up with my callenge that I'd have to catch a freshwater fish. So when my absolute "No Fail" method of chumming hard and bait fishing absolutely failed, I thought I was "in trouble"... Before moving to a different location I fired out a large green beetlespin... Wham! I got plump little Bass. Then another. Then another. Mission Accomplished..... 3 Largemouth Bass on Friday makes it 3 in a row...... Total Catch for the 2 Days: 8 Bluegills and 3 Largemouth Bass

No comments: