Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 13 Hatteras Island Surf Fishing



Let me dig deep into my "bag of excuses" and see what I get.... Okay, the tide was falling and it was on the low end of the cycle. We all know that surf fishing is better on rising and high water..... Okay, got that out of the way. On Thursday I bit the bullet and bought a $120 Beach Driving Permit. Last year I refused. However, if I'm going to spend half my life on Hatteras Island and be a Fisherman, not buying a Permit and not surf fishing is idiotic..... So today I hit the Beach. Reports from the beginning of the week were for red hot Blowtoad fishing. Sounds interesting. A "Blowtoad" is the common name for a Northern Puffer and they are a very, very, very good eating fish. Early Spring is the only time of the year that you would (or could) actually target them.... So I went Blowtoad fishing and, of course, I "shut that fishery down"... I fished 2 rods for 2 hours and I caught a few fish. A little too windy on the Beach. Low water. Muddy water. Very fishable though and it was fun. I got 2 Sea Mullet that were just big enough to eat. These Sea Mullet are lots of Island Native's absolute favorite fish, hands down. Tonight on the Ferry, my oiler Gary is frying up some "Kentucky Tuna" that I scored on Thursday. Its gonna be an interesting night on the Ferry! At least we will have 4 Sea Mullet fillets to "fall back on" if disaster strikes with the KYT! Total Catch for the Day: 2 Southern Sea Mullet, 6 small Croaker, and 4 Clearnosed Skate at 5-6 lbs each

1 comment: