Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Back at Hatteras

Again...... This time its different. The TOP WATER BOAT is ready. Sitting on her trailer and ready to go! The Cobia are coming. The Bonito are coming. The Chopper Bluefish are coming. All the things we love about Spring are overdue. All the things we love about Summer are fast approaching. The Inshore and Nearshore Fishing is about to break loose at Beaufort Inlet. I got plenty of open dates next week and I surely would love to get a couple of calls (252-241-8350) May 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.......

Personally, I am very close (795) to catching my 800th NC Saltwater Citation-Sized Fish. I expect to reach that mark by the end of May. Hopefully, I will find me a 15lb Bluefish which will be my 34th different species. Back in the old days, the Bluefish minimum weight was 17lbs and I had caught a couple of 15 pounders. Since it was dropped to 15lbs, my best fish has been 14lbs 8oz. Dammit. Even worse, last year I had a Giant Bluefish that was fully engorged on a school of Menhaden. This one was well over the old mark of 17lbs. I say it was an 18 lb Chopper. Easy. Rigged up for Cobia, I cast my bucktail and the Bluefish immediately locked on my rig. Unfortunately, I could see it well enough to know that he was just chomped onto the hair and plastic tail. Still, the battle waged for 90 seconds. Very tense. I was in the tower and Chris stood by with the gaff. MY MOST IMPORTANT hookup in a couple of years!!! Close to the boat, the Chopper went airborne. Tailwalker. Headshaker. And he flung the bait. I clearly saw him spit out a mouthfull of deer hair. Oh No....... Suddenly the bucktail jig caught his attention again! His primitive brain signalled to attack. He wheeled around 180 degrees and rapidly approached the bucktail. Again. Unfortunately this entire scenario played out right beside the boat and it all occurred in about 5 seconds. Before Mr 18 POUND CITATION BLUEFISH could attack the same lure that had just "held him", the "nearness" of the Boat spooked him and off he went. Forever. 10 seconds later, my chartreuse tail floated up to the surface 25 feet from my Stern. Dammit....... Love It....... At the Same Time! This year, Let's Do It Again!

Up here this week, I hope to catch a Giant Red Drum down at Ramp 55. It looks like a perfect set-up. Also, maybe I can even "bloody up" the new boat. The one I bought 2 weeks ago. Or perhaps I can beg my way on the Big Tahuna. Capt Kenny has been crushing 3 things that interest me greatly. 1. Mako Sharks, 2. 40-50lb Grouper, 3. 20-46lb Golden Tilefish

Just remember, ITS TIME TO GO FISHING...... 252-241-8350
                                   

4 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

PS.... I will try to refrain from catching ornamental fish for a while!

Anonymous said...

Capt, were all those big fish caught on your boat ?

Capt. Marty said...

What the hell am I doing up at 445? Headed east across Hatteras Inlet. Sacred ground. Where James Hussey caught a 31 pound 12 oz Bluefish on January 31, 1972. I have long gazed at that name and that date. As a second grader, those words rocked my world! My mind drifts....

To answer that question. Maybe not my boat, but however, very very few of those citations came on Charter Boats or the result of someone "handing" me a rod with a fish on it..... Honestly, 2 of my 3 Yellowfin Tunas and my 1 White Marlin came off Charter Boats. All the rest of my NC Citations came unassisted by any type of professional assistance. This includes a "do it yourself" 350lb Blue Marlin and a "solo" 380lb Bluefin Tuna. Neither of these were as hard to come by as my 6lb 7oz Porgy that I reeled in back in 1990. Knuckle Buster.

Capt. Marty said...

Full Moon. Pretty. Incoming Tide. I think I might go fishing......