Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 19 Sight Casting for Cobia





Well the good fishing lasted one day........ Actually, today was a disaster from the get go. Apparently today's client Joey, was destroyed by yesterday's Grouper, Amberjack, and Red Drum...... Mike Tyson vs Glass Joe! So he canceled and Kim had him on an IV drip and he was resting peacefully. Okay, sometimes TOP WATER CHARTERS is not take a kid fishing.... Its Fishing Combat..... So, Joey backed out and at noon I launched on a solo mission! But then I had to take the beautiful, smart, sexy, and incredibly lovely Jennifer for a boat ride..... Well, that blew an hour of prime sunlight.....Then I finally arroved on the fishing grounds, within 5 minutes I T-Boned 3 Cobias about 40 lbs each. At least things were looking good! Then the phone rang and Chris wanted to go..... So in I went, all the way to Beaufort, grabbed him and ran back out there.... Basically what I'm saying is this........ A FISHING TRIP that should've started at 6AM finally started at 2PM!!!!!! After that and (I'm tired of typing) we caught one out of six Cobias. We saw one that was at least a 70+ pounder, and on that one the glare was so bad that I lead (his tail) perfectly..... Oh Lord. I finally caught an 18 lb Cobia. One of Three on a Leatherback Turtle. Had another strike but it didnt work out for me. Chris managed an Albacore because I challenged him. That's it. Tommorrow Jennifer and I have big plans, then I'm back to Hatteras for 7 days. Goodbye Cobia. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Cobia at 18 lbs, 5 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, 3 snagged Menhaden, and 1 Albacore at 7 lbs 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good deal on the cobia captain. Were you sight casting to them or fishing on the bottom. What is your preferred bait to sight cast with? Any menhaden moved into the area yet? Thanks for the report.

Capt. Marty said...

Menhaden---yes and plenty of them. We were sight casting. My favorite is a 2oz chartreuse Spro with a chartreuse tail