Friday, May 31, 2013

May 31 Part 1 - Beautiful Day Slow Fishing


I am in the WORST SLUMP of my FISHING CAREER...... It was another day of beautiful weather and beautiful water. Too sum up my miserable run on fishing since the 75lb Cobia broke off 15 miles up the North Beach on Wednesday..... Today, a 10-12 lb Dolphin followed a live shad to the boat as I was clearing our lines for the ride home. This Dolphin would have been a saviour and a signature fish... A great catch on an Inshore half Day Trip. Especially odd 5 miles offshore during the month of May! This Dolphin was lit up as brightly and wildly as ANY DOLPHIN as I've ever seen. This Dolphin tried to eat our bait for 45 seconds. At the end, he actually had the live menhaden pinned up against the side of the boat and he COULD NOT EAT the damn bait. OH MY GOD. The dude who broke off the 75lb Cobia. I cussed. I apologized. Please lift the curse you put on me. Earlier on this day, we had 30 Amberjacks that couldn't catch a tired, worn out Jumping Mullet on the surface. I made perfect casts to Tarpon on two separate occasions on the Shoals. (Okay, Tarpon don't favor bucktails, but thats all I had).... Anyway, my apologies to all clients for subpar fishing. We missed Cobia by making wrong turns where 100 feet would've meant paydirt. We've had Sailfish and Dolphin do everything they could do to eat bait and they failed. Thus we failed. Thus Thus I failed. Pretty Weather has meant higher expectations and it hasn't panned out. I did not want to catch 10-14 lb Amberjacks all day, but in hind sight, I should have. Thankfully Pete and Pete each pulled on a Jack and Little Pete landed his. This has got to end soon or I'm moving to the Mountains.... Total Catch for the Day: 1 Amberjack at 10 lbs

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What f****, you been catchin cobia and cry about some kind of a slump.....some folks can't be satisfied.

Anonymous said...

Hey Capt. Marty do you have a saltwater aquarium? Would you like to have a flame box crab?

Capt. Marty said...

I don't but John Duncan. (Owner of Beaufort Realty) does. I'm sure he'd be interested