Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 1-7 Hatteras Fishing Week






July 1- Late night fishing with the 7wt Fly Rod. Nothing on the Hatteras side. Late night at Ocracoke, I caught 4 Bluefish under the lights, then another stupid, meaningless miracle occurred... Remember a couple of weeks ago, I caught a Bullnose Ray blindcasting into the dark on a fly? Well, this time I sightcasted to an Atlantic Stingray in the skinny water right up against the Seawall.... I know they have poor eyesight but this one clearly saw the fly move and turned on it.... The Stingray stopped just short of the fly... The water was only inches deep so all this was in plain view. A stand-off. My fly sat on the bottom and Mr Ray stopped inches short... Then I twitched the fly twice. The Ray moved forward and covered the fly. I briskly raised my long rod and felt resistance. In the dark water below, a big swirl and puffff of mud, and the fight was on! I think its funny..... It was only a baby Stingray but it seemed like an accomplishment. An Atlantic Stingray on a fly at night.....

July 2- Pompano Fishing was a bust. High winds, dirty water, and grass in the surf. Plenty of Sand Fleas. Never had a bite in 60 minutes.... Tropical Storm Arthur is coming...... What changes will it bring?

July 3- Hurricane Arthur Approaches

July 4- Hurricane Arthur Passes

July 5- Hurricane Arthur Aftermath

July 6- Beautiful Weather.... Should've went Pompano Fishing. Instead I brought my 3 wt Fly Rod to the Ferry,,,, And in 20 minutes of effort, I caught 1 Silver Perch and I Southern Flounder. The Flounder was my career best on Fly. Unfortunately, I had no way to land him. After a tricky little fight, I got him straight up and down. Guessed him aaaaaaaaat just under 2 pounds... He escaped on the "lift"......  Daggone it, as Ole Roy would say!

July 7- Highlight fishing session of the week. Fished the Buxton Jettys.... Had a nice spot until 4 bogus Surfers moved in...... One little spot I was sharing with an out-of-man and his little daughter.... And with plenty PLENTY of wide open spots east and west, these Bogarts walked right through our set-ups and started spastic, fagg-out long boarding right in our baits.... Well, my neighbors left in disgust... I had high hopes for this spot, but so far I had only caught Pinfish and Hogfish..... Not exactly "A List, Who's Who of Surf Species"...... So I moved over 2 Jettys to the west.... I had ZERO expectations and....... BOOM BOOM... Back to back Red Drum on Sand Fleas on 2 hook bottom rigs. When the first one hit, I was thinking Black Drum..... In was mildly disappointed and pleasantly surprized when my Drum turned Red! My next cast brought another.... This time I was praying for a Black Drum... Once again it turned out to be a Red Drum.... The one I kept was a 6 pounder. The one I released was 2" longer and heavier for sure. Mr Nice Guy...... Obey the Law.....

Total Catch for the Week: 4 Bluefish, 2 Red Drum at 6 and 7 lbs, 4 Pinfish, 4 Hogfish, 1 Silver Perch, 1 Southern Flounder at 28oz, and 1 Atlantic Stingray

No comments: