Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12- Tiger Shark City





Ed stuck around and waited out the weather..... I am surely glad he did. We tried it Thursday and got blown away.... Today was a great weather day. Seas were slight. Winds were light. We caught great bait. What can Capt Marty possibly complain about this time?  Well, here it is...... Every where we went, we were looked over by 300 to 600 lb Tiger Sharks.... Now, don't get me wrong, I am a Shark Lover and I am thrilled to see these things..... But, I can imagine that for every Tiger Shark we saw, there were probably a dozen that we didn't see..... And Sharks that size and in those numbers, I can only imagine that lots of fish get the hell outta town.... With that being said, we saw absolutely NO Amberjacks, NO King Mackerel, and NO Dolphin.... The Groupers seeemed to be scarce and even when we hooked up they were very very quick to dive back in the Rocks..... I gotta give Ed credit though. He caught a 14 lb Gag Grouper un-assisted in any way.... Stacy and I were fishing too, and Stacy did pretty good. I sucked. I never caught a Grouper at all.... I hooked a 300 lb Tiger Shark on a King Mackerel Combo with 20# test mono. I pulled and got him Straight up and down, but he was 50 ft deep and I popped him off..... One final highlight came on the final Tiger Shark we saw..... This was a 600 lb Tiger and he had 3 Cobia swimming under him and "behind" his head... (away from the teeth) Anyway, we hooked up 2 Cobia. Both were just under the legal mark and we let them walk..... We also caught Black Sea Bass, White Grunt, and Spottail Pinfish. Total Catch for the Day: 5 Gag Grouper up to 14 lbs, 2 Cobia at 30" and 32", 24 Black Sea Bass up to 3 lbs, 1 White Brunt at 2 lbs, 1 Spottail Pinfish and 1 Sharpnose Shark

No comments: