Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Little Sid Released



Ole little Sid, the Bluegill got turned loose today..... Little Sid was my companion when I first hurt my back in 2011..... I caught Little Sid on a popping bug when he was the size of a 50 cent piece..... Over the next 3 years, Sid ate worms, crickets, and minnows.... He ate them often..... He killed every other fish that was put in the 38 gallon aquarium with him.... And he grew and grew and grew.... Funny, all the Mung Holes are full of stunted Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds..... In my house, Little Sid grew to a size that we earn someone a NC Freshwater Fishing Citation if someone catches him now..... Little Sid was never really comfortable in his glass home. He had out-grown it and Jennifer and I had grown weary of his "panic attacks".... He'd splash water out of the Aquarium and actually had soaked an electric socket on a couple of occasions.... Sid's tank had suffered from a summer-time algae bloom and I couldn't find his tank wall scraper..... Jennifer and I were also making trips to Wal-Mart just to buy worms..... In the end, we decided to turn him loose.... So, I waded out in the Pond.... In the crystal clear water, other Bluegill gathered all around me.... I tipped up Sids bucket to allow the Pond Water to spill over the rim.... Sid's breathing increased as he "tastied and smelled" other life from 1 million different sources all at once. After wetting my hands, I gently reached in lifted Sid into the sunlight for the first time in his life.... Jennifer snapped pictures from the bank and Sid patiently waited and did not move one muscle while I held him. After I said my sad good bye to my old friend, I flipped him forward into the deeper water beyond the weed canopy.... Sid hit the water and disappeared under the canopy.... I waited 5 minutes but never saw him again.... I did see hundreds of other Bluegills... Hopefully Sid will survive the transition into his new home. There are a few 5-6 lb Bass in that Pond, but they can't even think about tackling a Bluegill the size of Sid. Snapping Turtles and my flys and lures will be his biggest threat until winter..... Then he will battle cold water for the first time in his life.... Obviously, this Mung Hole is a vibrant community and it sure seems like everything survives the winter in this one..... Hopefully somewhere in the future ole Sid will suck down my fly again and I will catch and release him.... That would be great,,,, I hope to see my old friend again.... Damn, I feel like Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption..... I'll be on the bank of that Mung Hole looking into that green water.... Hopelessly peering..... Aching to see my old friend again.... Morgan Freeman? Nope. Little Sid, the Bluegill.... My friend for the past 3 years..... So Long My Friend

3 comments:

Mike said...

AdiĆ³s Little Sid.

Tom Chesebro said...

I didn't think you'd do it Marty !!!! Glad I got to see him when I was at your house !!!

Capt. Marty said...

hey Tom,

I got your email about clark spoons....I will get you some answers tomorrow. I've been busy as hell........