Wednesday, July 23, 2014

July 23- Trouble All Day..... Amberjacks Bailed Us Out




Tough day for Capt Marty and Top Water Charters.... Lets just say I got some severe "Cat Trouble" at home, I got a #4 treble hook buried in my left forearm, and I forgot to put my oil cap back on my 250 HP Suzuki Outboard this morning after adding a quart at the Wilco station..... The Oil Cap dilemma was/is very troubling.... Am I "That Fricking Stupid?" I actually ran my engine for 6+ Hours and 52 Miles with oil spraying out of the Fill Hole..... Day-Um.... We noticed a Slick at the third Wreck we fished but I had no idea what was causing it until we got back to the Dock.... Enough of that crap! Besides, the fish just weren't biting that good today. The first and smallest wreck we visited was the best, by far... In 2 hours, we had 8 Amberjack bites, hoooked 7 Amberjacks, lost 5 in the heavy structure, and landed 2 Amberjacks. The second and third stops produced one Amberjack "charge", no bites, no hook-ups, and we only saw 1 Amberjack.... One of these Wrecks is like Wal-Mart.... Open 24/7/365 and tons of Amberjacks and other stuff.... This place was DEAD..... Unheard of JULY for cryN out Loud! Anyway, we caught 2 Albacore on spin.... We actually saw dozens of schools, literally thousands of breaking fish.... These were the gluttonus Albacore and the supremely frustrating and nearly impossible Bullet Mackerel..... Somewhere in there we also caught 2 Sharks... Bucket List Items.... I suppose the true highlight of the day was Capt Tuggwell catching 20 dozen Menhaden with one throw of my newly acquired 12 ft cast net AND me ripping the #4 treble hook out of my own forearm that was deeply deeply deeply imbedded... OUCH......  Total Catch for the Day: 2 Amberjacks at 22 and 24 lbs each, 2 Little Tunnys at 11 and  12 lbs each,  and 2 Atlantic Sharpnose Sharks at 6 and  8 lbs each

2 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

Did you hurt the motor Capt. Marty??
Sounds like a day that you'd sooner forget !!!

Anonymous said...

Dang Marty, don't break the boat before I can get down there this year. Ken called last week and asked when could I set up a trip with you.

Brent