Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27- Mung Hole Grand Slam on Fly




Yes sir, I did what I wanted to do today..... Granted, I'd prefer a Salmon filled River in Alaska, or Peacock Bass in the Amazon, or even a Rock Strewn Creek in Pennsylvania where my fly could possibly find a Smallmouth Bass..... But, I want to throw flys in Freshwater..... So I made do the best I could..... Three minutes from my back door are a series of "storm water collection basins" that were fed by a creek.... Ten years later, they have thriving, but stunted, populations of Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, and Pumpkinseed.... I call these tiny bodies of water the "Mung Holes"... In the center, the crown jewel, is actually a man-made lake that I call "Lake Bernaur" for my pal Korey who is the Superintendent for the entire Development...... Anyway, today in approximately two hours of tossing a fake dragonfly on my 7 wt fly rod and a white rubber-legged popping bug on my 3 wt fly rod, I caught the fabled "Mung Hole Grand Slam".... The Pumpkinseed is the key to this Slam and when I landed my 'Seed I called it quits... Today's Pumpkinseed was a trophy too at 10".... A NC Freshwater Citation winner. He slammed the bug, quickly racing through the line at my feet and deeply bending my rod. Expecting a Bass at twice his size, I was anticipating a jump. Instead, Mr Seed reversed direction and piled headfirst into the shoreline vegetation.... Then I saw his size.... OMG it had to be Little Sid! I was shocked to see a Sunfish come out of that Pond at THAT SIZE that WASN'T Little Sid! Anyway, a huge Pumpkinseed! Anyway, fishing for Bass and Bluegill was pretty good with lots of strikes. Fewer hook-ups, but all in all, it was a pretty fun day. Total Catch for the Day: 5 Largemouth Bass, 6 Bluegill, and a 10" Pumpkinseed

2 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

How's the boat Marty..nothing serious I hope ??

Capt. Marty said...

Tom ,

Not sure..... I may have a Suzuki problem or I may have a problem with a 25 yr old pick-up stem in my fuel tank... It's been a pain in the ass to trouble shoot . So far, I've eliminated 3-4 possibilities and it's still missing when I get up over 3500 rpms.... I plan to run the damn thing next week as is and we'll see what happens.. I'm sick and damn tired of Old Worn Out Shit..... Hell, I just described myself too! Ha ha