Monday, September 10, 2012

Sept 10 Double Dipping Freshwater/Saltwater Grandslams


Busy day, with a whole lot of nothing. Got the Top Water Truck out of the shop. Missed the Ferry. Waited to say goodbye to Jennifer. Fished Taylor's Creek while waiting for my truck. It was on-fire with Flounder, Red Drum and a mix of garbage lead by very aggressive Lizardfish.... Fished the Mung Hole while waiting for Jennifer to come over. Used my 3 wt Fly Rod to capture Largemouth Bass, Bluegill and Pumpkinseed. I also caught 4 dozen Misquitofish with my dip net to keep Little Sid happy and well fed for a week... Then I drove all the way around to get to Hatteras because I missed the Cedar Island Ferry. I fished a couple of places along the way. Off the Melvin Daniels Bridge on the Manteo-Nags Head Causeway I caught a Speckled Trout on a white grub.... It got me thinking. Earlier I caught some Red Drum and some Southern Flounder. Add in the Speckled Trout and there is a North Carolina Inshore Grand Slam. Also, today at the Mung Hole, I angled my way to several Largemouth Bass, several Bluegill and a Pumpkinseed. These three sweetwater denizens make up the illustrious Mung Hole Grand Slam and for added notoriety we can add in "On The Fly" ....... Total Catch for the Day: 5 Southern Flounder up to 18", 5 Red Drum  up to 16", 2 small Bluefish, 2 small Pinfish, 2 small Black Sea Bass, 4 Inshore Lizardfish up to 21", 1 Spotted Seatrout at 14", 3 Largemouth up to 15", 10 small Bluegill and 1 Pumpkinseed at 8"

3 comments:

ehirunner said...

Today I had a landlocked loser grand slam: work, kids, and back pain. Jealous...

Capt. Marty said...

Ehi,

My last grand slam was back pain, ingrown toenail and mystery rash... I was an unusual discharge away from a Super Slam! I'm still plugging that King Mackerel fishing and I honestly haven't had a bite since your 26 pounder...

Capt. Marty said...

I just had a supper consisting of fried White Perch fillets, land-locked Red Drum fillets, and White Bass fillets.... Once again solidifying that Pond's ranking as #1 POnd in NC.... My Opinion. My Blog. Nothing else matters!