Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sept 23 Everybody got a Red Drum





Dan's crew is AVID RED DRUM Fans and the last time they tried to do this trip with me in 2010 a Hurricane messed it up. This time we had the weather in our favor, but the calendar was getting a little late. Since I started fishing for Large Red Drum in the Southern Pamlico Sound 14 years ago, this is latest in the year that I've ever tried it. So it was a little bit of a mystery. That's why I was so happy when Lisa pulled the hooks right beside the boat on a 50 lb Red Drum pretty quickly after getting setup under the setting sun. The Red Drum were here, so hopefully it was going to be a great night! Well, it turned out to be a really fun night and thankfully we needed 4 Red Drum and we got them. The fishing was a little slow and the numbers were disappointing, but it was still a great night of fishing. Dan had the hot rod up on the bow and he actually outfished my 4 rods with his one! Incredibly, he got ALL his bites on little Croakers and Pinfish that I caught while waiting for Drum bites. I also stumbled into a really nice Sea Mullet that I'm looking forward to checking out in the cooler as soon as I can peel myself out of the couch! We also caught a truly spectacular 40 lb Cownose Ray that shook up the crew with a long, fast run. Only to be topped by the last and largest Red Drum of the night, which "made our night" and pulled my Boga Grip down to 45 pounds! Total Catch for the Night: 4 Red Drum up to 45 lbs, a 40 lb Cownose Ray, 2 Southern Sea Mullet, 12 Croaker and 12 Pinfish